View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #38
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayeux View Post
This could be one of those threads that could be continuously added to, but I did learn a few valuable lessons this weekend. Enjoy:

3. Be very patient with the spectators. It seems that "your space" is actually public space! My one regret is being short with a couple who wanted to samply my pork while I was putting together the turn-in box. If nobody explains it to the public, then how will they know how to act? Don't expect common sense...

This in my opinion is where the event organizers are not educated by KCBS or any of the other organizations.

I took my hand dandy word processor, and made me some signs. All I put on it is basically: NO SALES NO SAMPLES PLEASE DO NOT ASK

I put the letters as big as they would fit on the page, then printed them on colored paper. Had them laminated, and tape them to the back of my tent sides after I get set up. It is amazing the comments you will hear, but they will not ask for anything either. The general public will look, see, and walk on by to the next team and bother them....

Very inexpensive, and very effective.

If you would like, I can scan one, and post a pic.....
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote