Rotisserie chicken... Help!

S

Sam_Wheat

So the family wants me to cook one today. It's 11:22am is it too late for dinner? Please help with ingredients and tips. I have the kettle rotisserie. How long does it need to cook for?

Needs to cook till 180 degrees in the thigh/breast meat.

Ingredients: montreal chicken rub by McCormick's will make a killer chicken! That or some Zatarain's creole seasoning or Tony Chachere's. I would also think about putting some butter under the skin after you season it up to make it nice and crispy when it comes out.

Set up the kettle for indirect (lit charcoal piles on each side) with a drip pan in the middle. That should give you a temp around 350. the actual time depends on the bird, but at 350 a 3-4 lb. bird should be done in 60 - 90 minutes, may up to two hours. You're looking for 155 in the breast and 165 in the thigh. You can put a bag of ice on the breast for 30 minutes or so before cooking. That way the breast will start out colder than the thighs and the two should be done close to each other.

yea, i love the iced breast method. i use only birds that weigh 3lb's. i cook the brest till it gets to 160 deg and they always come out great.

To eat poultry safely you have to take it to 180 minimum. Does the carryover take it far enough? I have never heard of icing a bird while cooking. Educate me please, prOn of the iced birdy would probably even be better for all us NoooooOoOOObs that haven't seen these tricks.

I believe he meant ice Approximately 30 min before the cook. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Paul

You could brine the bird with 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar mixed into a gallon of water (make sure the water is cold for safety - maybe put some ice in) - throw a little of whatever rub you're using in there too. Brine it for a couple hours (in the fridge!), then pat dry and let the bird sit in the fridge uncovered for an hour. If you don't have that much time, just get as close as you can. If you don't have time to wet brine, then hit that bird with either seasoned salt, or kosher (or sea) salt and let sit uncovered in the fridge for an hour or 2. Then cook - Ron's got ya covered on that. I'm a 165 guy myself - but I usually run over that 'cause I'm lazy and disorganized - but it does turn out good!

What brining the bird will do is make it more tender, juicy, and more flavorful. Also the bird will be more forgiving if you take it a little too hot.

Bottom line is - you're not too late by any means. Backtime 1 1/2 or 2 hours from dinner, having the bird rest a little (loosely tented) is a good thing.

Good luck!

I believe he meant ice Approximately 30 min before the cook. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

Paul

Yes. I did say before cooking. See below (emphasis added)

Set up the kettle for indirect (lit charcoal piles on each side) with a drip pan in the middle. That should give you a temp around 350. the actual time depends on the bird, but at 350 a 3-4 lb. bird should be done in 60 - 90 minutes, may up to two hours. You're looking for 155 in the breast and 165 in the thigh. You can put a bag of ice on the breast for 30 minutes or so before cooking. That way the breast will start out colder than the thighs and the two should be done close to each other.

I cook poultry to 150-160 range all of the time, never a problem. I buy good poultry from a safe source and have not seen any issues. Keeping the ice bag in place on the rotuisserie, now that would be problematic :becky:

Ron said it all. You have more than enough time to get it done for dinner. You could also spatch it and save on the time having to put it on the rotiss.

Ron said it all. You have more than enough time to get it done for dinner. You could also spatch it and save on the time having to put it on the rotiss.

I was going to suggest that, but since his wife wanted rotisserie I didn't want to cause marital strife :-D

Do I need butchers twine? Or can I just spear it? This is the setup I have ...

weber_charcoal_rotisserie_l.jpg

I normally tie the legs and thighs to keep them from flapping while the bird spins. It also helps to keep them from getting singed.

Back