Master Class with Aaron Franklin

He does make up a bbq sauce in the video and the recipe is given but it is for his ribs. I don’t know if it is the same as what is for the pulled pork. Will have to go back and watch.

It's not the same. The sauce on his pulled pork is closer to Lexington dip, but nothing I've tried has completely nailed it.

STAGE 4
Return the wrapped ribs to the smoker with the seam of the foil facing up and cook for three more hours at 265–270°F.

I notice he said he wraps in foil for 3 hours at 270*, then sorta says "it could finish early." I think theres going to be a lot of people making mushy ribs.

Just to make sure I'm clear...

If you buy just the CLASS (for $90) you get to keep (but not download) the program for "lifetime."...but...if you buy the Annual Pass (for $180 a year) you no longer have access to the content if you stop paying...???

Also, it says that the class has a "Downloadable Cookbook"...How is it? Is it less/more/same as his book?

Just to make sure I'm clear...

If you buy just the CLASS (for $90) you get to keep (but not download) the program for "lifetime."...but...if you buy the Annual Pass (for $180 a year) you no longer have access to the content if you stop paying...???

Also, it says that the class has a "Downloadable Cookbook"...How is it? Is it less/more/same as his book?

The "cookbook" is a 40 page .pdf summary of what he covers in the video. Its not actually a cookbook.

I keep having mixed feelings of getting the $90 version or not. I'd like to keep them, but gave both of his books and feel like I could probably just peruse through them for the same information he may be providing in the videos.

I bought the class last night and I just now finished the brisket series. Just that segment alone justifies the price for me. I've farked up, and would continue to fark up, way more than the $90 in briskets with improper trimming and slicing.

The dude is easy to listen and relate to, and he reduces details to the ridiculous. It's kinda like watching a great UFC fight. It makes me think I can go out and whoop a brisket's arse.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
I bought the class last night and I just now finished the brisket series. Just that segment alone justifies the price for me. I've farked up, and would continue to fark up, way more than the $90 in briskets with improper trimming and slicing.

The dude is easy to listen and relate to, and he reduces details to the ridiculous. It's kinda like watching a great UFC fight. It makes me think I can go out and whoop a brisket's arse.:mrgreen:

You could probably learn just as much for free by watching Harry Soo's youtube videos.

You could probably learn just as much for free by watching Harry Soo's youtube videos.

I'm a huge fan of Harry's and have watched most of his videos, and I'm subscribed to his channel. I wouldn't compare his style to Franklin's. If you look at Harry's finished product compared to Franklin's, you wouldn't think they came from the same species of animal.

Keep hearing this about the video. The trimming and slicing seems to be a selling point, but to me, that part is really easy to figure out with the myriad of information free on this site and elsewhere. I'm more curious about the cook process like how to know when the fat has rendered properly and it's time to wrap (wrap based on fat color rather than bark color). How to get a thick Texas style bark that will hold up during a long hold. Whether to keep temp constant throughout the cook or to vary it based on phase of fat rendering and bark formation. Any mention of these things?

Keep hearing this about the video. The trimming and slicing seems to be a selling point, but to me, that part is really easy to figure out with the myriad of information free on this site and elsewhere. I'm more curious about the cook process like how to know when the fat has rendered properly and it's time to wrap (wrap based on fat color rather than bark color). How to get a thick Texas style bark that will hold up during a long hold. Whether to keep temp constant throughout the cook or to vary it based on phase of fat rendering and bark formation. Any mention of these things?

Yes. There's all that and a lot more. When I say he reduces details to the ridiculous, I mean every single factor you can think of. It reminds me of the painstaking process of loading precision rifle ammo. It's that detailed.

Not at all. They teach two completely different things. Total polar opposites.

Agreed. If you listen carefully in detail what franklin is saying in this class there are some really good gems of info. Stuff I never even considered before.

link to a two-part Franklin how to cook a rib video. I watched both, pretty good info in it. Wonder how it matches up to the paid version.

http://bbqblvd.com/aaron-franklin-rib-recipe/

Here's a simple example of the more detail. I just clicked randomly on part 2. It was where he began spritzing the ribs. On youtube, he just says use whatever liquid and that he uses cider vinegar then he starts spritzing. In the Master Class, he talks about the bottle and where he adjusts it to. He also talks about the technique to spray it, where he sprays it and what he is looking for. Also how spraying it affects it. Maybe some other stuff but that is what I remember.

I watched it. I enjoyed the pulled pork video. The spare ribs video was interesting, but not really how I prefer my ribs personally.
I thought the information provided on trimming a brisket was very good. It's not very different than how I already trim, but it was a very good section. I really enjoyed how he described how a properly cooked brisket should feel in the hands when applying pressure over different sections of the point and flat. I've always gone "probe tender", but I think that cooking 100% by how it feels in your hands is very cool. The section on fire management is very good as well. I already felt that I was pretty good at it, but he describes in detail how he selects each split for specific stages of a cook (some will give more flavor so they are used in the early stages, some burn longer and when to use those, some combust faster and when to use those, etc...)
Then there's the slicing and serving section. It was put together very well, but nothing very earth shattering.
All in all, I think that it's very worth it.

I have a friend that is interested in splitting the class cost, and us both having access. Would that work? I didn't know how this setup is tied to IP's

Back