Hunsaker Vortex basket height

UMICH1

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I’m thinking I may buy a WSM 22”. Was looking at the Hunsaker vortex basket. How much higher does it set than the original charcoal ring? I seen some pics without legs and it sits on the grate. But his website shows it with legs and sitting in the bottom of the WSM without the charcoal grate. I would like to hang full length spareribs with the Hunsaker hanger. I’m thinking I have room with the original set up dripping straight on the coals but not sure with the vortex plate (which I would like to try to get even heat and drippings on the plate).

I’ve got the basket with legs. The handle on the basket is in line with the top of the bowl and about 4.5 inches below the water pan. I’ve used it for over a year and regularly hang spareribs with a gateway hanger. I hook below the second bone. The basket can get the heat way up.

My advice would be to just buy the Hunsaker smoker. It will come with the vortex and the basket and I guarantee it will fit. Also they recently expanded the number of colors you can choose from.

Back