Caveman technique - a couple of questions

I don't agree with that...........what is the science behind that Buccs:shocked:
Google polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
When when the fat drips onto the coals and there is a flare, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are formed.
The smoke carries these hydrocarbons and coat the food we eat.There is a proven correlation between PAH's and digestive tract cancers.

heterocyclic amines (HCA) are formed from charring, and the oil (fats) increase the level of charring during contact with the intense heat, so a secondary danger there.

I'm not preaching, life is fraught with risk and I respect you to assess for yourself but am only presenting what makes sense to me.
Better to be informed though, sure helps with the choices.
:yo:

Holy crap this scares me ..... when i was a kid i was roasting marshmallows while camping during the early morning from the remaining coals still hot from the night before and took a bite and burnt my tongue from a hot coal i didnt see on it

Yeah, I'm starting to overthink it.....

Decided to cook it on a smallish Weber....

Can't decide on whether or not to coat it with EVO or not......

Ah well, meat is out coming up to room temp, and I'll flip a coin on the EVO. :mrgreen:

You are probably done cooking by now, but no oil needed. Salt as early as possible, wile the steak is warming to room temp. Pepper is fine too, or add it later -- not much difference in taste, either way.

CD

Google polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
When when the fat drips onto the coals and there is a flare, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are formed.
The smoke carries these hydrocarbons and coat the food we eat.There is a proven correlation between PAH's and digestive tract cancers.

heterocyclic amines (HCA) are formed from charring, and the oil (fats) increase the level of charring during contact with the intense heat, so a secondary danger there.

I'm not preaching, life is fraught with risk and I respect you to assess for yourself but am only presenting what makes sense to me.
Better to be informed though, sure helps with the choices.
:yo:

Great info thanks. So you don't use EVOO in any of your grilled foods?

Great info thanks. So you don't use EVOO in any of your grilled foods?
EVOO isn't the danger, any fat(oil) burnt with flareback will present the same risks when interacting with flame and meat.
I love EVOO and OO, but I don't use any oils doing caveman technique.
I use them grilling away from the flame, no worries.

You are probably done cooking by now, but no oil needed. Salt as early as possible, wile the steak is warming to room temp. Pepper is fine too, or add it later -- not much difference in taste, either way.

CD

Yeah, done.

Good flavor, all over the place on doneness. Some was close to perfect, some RARE, some close to well. Wifey likes the crust. Took a bunch of pics, something must have turned out OK - wish it was simple to post here......

Maybe transfer it from the coals to a BGE @ 350 after a few minutes?.......

Good job. Now do it again. Sounds like your fire may have not been even, with the variation in doneness. Next time will be better.

I have done it twice...the first time scared s-less...a 20 dollar piece of meat( me only wife was out of town) rib eye...right on lump burning hot...bam!! awesome!..just shook steakl a little to remove any ash...actually very little.

You will be surprised how easy and how good...especially if you like med rare with a nice crust.

Can I get some time hints. 1.25 min......flip.....1.25 min.....remove.....rest......eat
Is that it? Medium rare with a nice cust?

Looks great.......will try

Good job. Now do it again. Sounds like your fire may have not been even, with the variation in doneness. Next time will be better.

I'll definitely try again - may do it it on 2 grills next time - get the crust on the coals, them switch to a BGE oven till done :noidea:

Can I get some time hints. 1.25 min......flip.....1.25 min.....remove.....rest......eat
Is that it? Medium rare with a nice cust?

Looks great.......will try
I flipped about every 1:30 till I got an internal of 120 in the thickest part of the steak - I believe it was 2 on one side and 3 on the other - BUT - 2 inch thick bone in steak :shock:

Not your average Ribeye. Relied COMPLETELY on the thermapen. :thumb:

I flipped about every 1:30 till I got an internal of 120 in the thickest part of the steak - I believe it was 2 on one side and 3 on the other - BUT - 2 inch thick bone in steak :shock:

Not your average Ribeye. Relied COMPLETELY on the thermapen. :thumb:

Bone in Ribeye - best steak cut EVER! Take your TBone, your Filet, your NY Strip and donate them. OK, TBone and Porterhouse are pretty good.
Especially Caveman. Did it once and it was fantastic.
But - I have 2 questions for the experts here (and they are experts)
1) Lid on help?
2) Bury a lump of wood under the coals (eg cherry or oak) when you dump the chimney?
:decision:?

Sounds like people are taking the most simple method of cooking a steak and making it way too complicated!

Get (lump) coals HOT, put steak on, take steak off, eat.

Sounds like people are taking the most simple method of cooking a steak and making it way too complicated!

Get (lump) coals HOT, put steak on, take steak off, eat.

LOL

good point.

But - trying to perfect the method. If we didn't we'd still be Neanderthal. these are mere details... I bet we could kick the asses of the Gourmets Flavour always flavour

If you or your significant other are worried about too much ash you can break out her hair dryer or a heat gun and blow off any loose ash just before dropping the flesh onto the coals.

Reiterating the above, no EVOO.

Bone in Ribeye - best steak cut EVER! Take your TBone, your Filet, your NY Strip and donate them. OK, TBone and Porterhouse are pretty good.
Especially Caveman. Did it once and it was fantastic.
But - I have 2 questions for the experts here (and they are experts)
1) Lid on help?
2) Bury a lump of wood under the coals (eg cherry or oak) when you dump the chimney?
:decision:?

:doh:
:rant2:
Look, the farkin name may be a clue as to what this is.
Caveman.
:wink::cool:

No lump of wood, smoking or tricky chit.

All steaks are sensational.

No freakin lid, this is intense grilling on the coals.:cop:

And brother, get you some books. We were never Neanderthals, they are a different sub species.:tsk:
They were the ones who wouldn't cooperate and help each other, but rather club anyone who annoyed them.
Like you guys are making us want to do to you now!!:caked:

This is why BBQ has become taking great meat and using it as a delivery system for industrial vat chemicals and goopy sugars.
Just cook!
Stop trying to re invent the wheel, all us guys on bicycles and vehicles are embarrassed at your antics:hand::mmph:

Rant over.

Now I feel like a bowl of cereal, sheesh.:twitch:

Good Rant !!

ok, properly rebuked.

I just wanted to ask, cause I thought perhaps it might help enhance the flavour.

Am I at least allowed to use a knife and fork, or do I have to eat it with my hands?

:oops:

I agree! Anyone out there with Tbone, filets, & NY Strips...just go ahead and donate them to me :biggrin1:

ok, properly rebuked.

I just wanted to ask, cause I thought perhaps it might help enhance the flavour.

Am I at least allowed to use a knife and fork, or do I have to eat it with my hands?

:oops:
Read it with humor, I am unfairly taking advantage of the whackadoodlery about this thread, you just were the last one in!
:laugh:

:twitch:You have to whittle your own knife and fork.
CD might do a thread on it if there are enough sheltered petals that need guidance there...:wink: :whistle:

Back