A Brazilian 'Little Nappy' slow cook on the UDS

CambuiAl

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It's a public holiday here in Brazil today, so I thought I would get the drum going, and try a slow cooked beef Fraldinha. The sun is shining, and it's going to be a hot one.

A Brazilian cut called Fraldinha (little nappy) with my choice of rub. Mustard powder, some hot smoked paprika, some flaked garlic and onions, sea salt flakes - mixed together with some water to make a paste.
iekvv5.jpg

It's a fairly cheap cut in Brazil, but has a good fat cap, and suits slow cooking nicely. 1.26kg and R$33 (about US$14).
w013jq.jpg

Here it is with the fat showing - this should render down nicely.
2u3wshu.jpg

The rub is on.
23o315.jpg

The drum is up to heat - my UDS runs pretty hot, so a crusing temperature is about 280 F.
f8mwz.jpg

Onto the UDS with the meat probe in.
121zjie.jpg

Time to sit back and enjoy the sunshine
2jfiwj6.jpg

With one or two of these..

30ivvbs.jpg

2prb3h2.jpg

Will update the photos later with how it looks. Anyone any thoughts on a good internal temperature for when to pull this?

Cheers from Brazil, and thanks for looking!

The only pulling I would be doing is pulling the tops off a few more of those beers - would love to try some Brazilian cerveja! On a serious note, I can't wait to see how this turns out. Keep us posted!

Is it done yet?

I've never heard of that before. Google is telling me fraldinha is generally referencing a flap or skirt steak. Although I also saw bottom sirloin. That is definitely not a skirt steak. I would cook it to 125-130* and let it rest.

Either way, I have a feeling that it's going to be tasty!

2dgl63c.jpg

I've pulled it off and left it to sit - internal temps were quite high at 170 as I wanted this moist but not pink. The internal temp when it went in was near to 100 to start with!

Will see how it carves in about 20 mins.

Thanks for looking and the comments!

Obrigado!

Well - that wasn't good. The flavour was nice, but it is still tough as an old boot. I am putting it back on to break down some of the internal fat and fibre, having wrapped it in foil, and will see how it is in a few more hours.

I've not tried this cut before on the UDS, and it seems it wants to be cooked like a rack of beef ribs - slow, slow and low.

You had to take it off at around 130F dude. Now you're going to have to take it to the 200F range to try and get it tender again.

I'm confused. :confused:

Why was the meat temp near 100 when it went in? Did you kill the cow this morning? :twitch:

Back