Please identify this wood

Shoedo

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Is there someone on this forum that can identify this wood that I intend to use for smoking? Thanks

Attachments

• MVC-086S.JPG
    MVC-086S.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 280
  • MVC-087S.JPG
    MVC-087S.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 278
Stuff on the left looks like cherry, maybe Basswood on the right...

Scott

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident it's all tree wood....beyond that the pics are hard to see. Top pic is way too blurry to tell, maybe cherry, maybe birch, maybe pine. Either way, as long as it isn't an evergreen species give it a go. Most hardwoods are usable as smokewoods, I've tried lots of them and there are only a few that I won't use.

The top pic is hard to tell with so much lichen. The larger pieces in the bottom pic look like Oak. It's really hard to tell, but I'd use it.

I first leaned toward Cherry in the top left 1st pic.
Use an axe to clean off the barnacles... gonna be good.

saw into a few pieces and smell them. youll know what they are. My guess - the photo on the left judging by the larger piece in the background is birch. No idea what the other is.

The wood on the left in the first pic may be peach, it does look like a fruit wood IMHO. Hard to tell about the rest.

It seems that there is a bit of uncertainty, so the best thing is to take samples to your local county extension agent. They should be able to positively identify it by the bark, and then you will know with confidence.

I think the lack of clear answers is due to the pics themselves. I'm usually pretty good at identifying tree species. Take some clear pics of individual pieces of wood where the bark is clear and maybe we can help more.

Can you identify this wood?

This is a wood indigenous to Georgia in Snellville GA. I think one is hickory but not sure. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• MVC-086S.JPG
    MVC-086S.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 70
  • MVC-087S.JPG
    MVC-087S.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 70
I merged

your new thread with the old one. Best bet is to just bump your original thread if it is about the same topic. :thumb:

Krex makes a very good point. A lot has to do with the pics. A closeup of the bark and a fresh cut of the rings and possible a pic of the log split would help.

Also, burning a log or two will let you know a lot about the smoke. You will know right away if it is pine etc.

Bob

Last edited:
yea, we really can't tell you anything from those pics.. A shot of the grain, some better looks at the bark, a leaf or 2 would be really helpful too.

Back