Eloquently Convince Me I’m Wrong

Lunch was good. Fired up the SOB with a bank of hickory,post oak and a tad of mesquite. The Holy Grail- reheat sauce and Carmelized Brisket,Ribs And Sausage. Wife grabbed color from the veggie bin and seasoned with Fajita seasoning and butter. A good last meal for the day. No chew after two. Tried a new to me Sausage from an HEB in Big Spring TX. Wife really liked it.

Last edited:
Eloquently?
That leaves me out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

At your leisure Google "tofu burnt ends".
Life needs structure and rules.
The Universe needs structure and rules.
Tofu Burnt Ends? Available side dishes please.

I won't/can't argue with that, however I'm always willing to try something different and cook out of the box.

1-yes
2- if it is the brisket
3-yeah,kinda/sorta
4-NOPE-in Tejas,maybe,everybody else likes good BBQ.Skeet is like Rosemary,I will leave it at that.

In my part of the world wood arrives on truck from an Eastern state, or closer to the Mississippi River anyway,or in plastic.just an unread educated guess of plant biology in my zone. Cottonwood, Russian olive, Elm, Cedar and mesquite. These are the natural woods to pick from locally. And those are in river bottoms yards and golf courses. I can literally drive 100+ miles in three compass directions and the landscape is Barron of trees. Mesquite firewood delivered and stack is almost 400 at times 500. Hickory- Pecan can be 4-600 per cord.

Last edited:
I would respectfully:

Comment on #3 that BBQ Brethren member "Bigdog" was the one that gave a smoked sausage log it's now famous name. Early on they were made with breakfast sausage, but Italian does come in a log, so I'll call you "mostly right" on that statement.

Disagree with #4 in that mesquite is a requirement when cooking barbecue.

And very respectfully suggest that #5 (Pork Belly “burnt ends” were invented in Texas.) are fightin' words in some barbecuist circles. :biggrin1: I was born and raised in Texas and there were plenty of places in the 60's that made that claim, and still stand by it. Likewise they claimed they were born as scraps (not cubes of points) served as a lunch special, which I buy into a little easier.

So... respectfully, do some research starting with KC legends Harry Perry, Arthur Bryant and Gates Bar-B-Q and you will see what I mean about loyalty to the history of barbecue and to burnt ends aka "brownies".

When I was a little boy, BBQ joints served burnt ends that looked closer to this than the perfect, saucy cubes that are now so popular.... for what it's worth I like both dry and saucy burnt ends.

cd4733e3.jpg

Thank you very farkin much! These are indeed the very picture and description of "burnt ends". That stuff slid in front of customers and judges is a abomination called "square ends"
Ed

Real BBQ is what YOU believe it is...
...whether you smoke with mesquite, hickory, sassafras or leather.

If you like it, and believe in it, it's BBQ.

“All barbecues are cookouts, but not all cookouts are barbecue”

1. Food makes me happy
2 Food makes me happy
3.Food makes me happy
4. Other peoples rule makes me sad.
Reddit has a whole section for Gatekeepers.

This is an example of Gatekeeping BBQ.

Absolutely no judgment. I cook out a lot, almost daily, grill or smoke something. But if a good friend invites you to a backyard BBQ and you’re served hot dogs and hamburgers (which are some of the best you’ve ever eaten-took home a doggie bag etc etc)
Did you attend a barbecue or a cookout??

No judgment on my part, only an ass would inquire to his friend, just interested in opinions.

An example, when in the company of like minded people I either “grill or smoke on my cookers”
Almost all my friends refer to their cookers as BBQ’ers -as in fire up the BBQ and barbecue chicken ribs etc.

Definitely a difference in "grilling" and BBQ IMO... Steaks and burgers are grilled. Ribs, brisket, butts are BBQ. By no means am I judging anyone, just my 2 cents...

Showed this thread to my wife. She told me to “hush”.
She said we need to go to Sam’s.
I replied,”good I want to see if they have a small pork belly to make “burnt ends”
She stared for an uncomfortable second+
“Put down your phone and hush”
:-D

Definitely a difference in "grilling" and BBQ IMO... Steaks and burgers are grilled. Ribs, brisket, butts are BBQ. By no means am I judging anyone, just my 2 cents...

When I reverse sear a steak, is that grilled? What if I smoked it first? What about a rotisserie prime rib?

When I make a smashburger on my Blackstone is that grilled? Or griddled?

I'll drink to that. I always try and make the distinction between grilling and smoking/bbqing:

"You gonna barbecue this weekend?"
"Nah, just gonna fire up the grill and cook up a few steaks"

Got it

Last edited:
Back