• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

It's all because of covid

Swine-Enshrined

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Greetings folks! New member here...
I am fairly new to this hobby and it is 100% Covid related. Thought you might appreciate the short story.

In April 2020 I get a hankering for a good steak right?
(Of course every steakhouse here in ATL is closed for Covid). All I have to work with is a rusted out old gas grill that is a total fire hazard. So as im driving home from work this same week, I see a guy rolling out some kind of kettle grill to the curb. I immediately turn around. “Dude, Whatcha got there?” It’s was a Weber 22” Kettle in excellent condition. He was making room for some new overpriced stainless contraption that will only last 2 years anyway. Needless to say I took it home.

Turns out, this Weber was infected with some kind of virus as well, but it wasn’t Covid :wink:. I’ve cooked and smoked everything on this kettle from Hotdogs to the Thanksgiving Turkey. So… for me, something good actually resulted from Covid-19
But I want more ! :grin:
I have been trolling this site quite a bit over the last few months…and I’ve made my decision.
I've considered an off-set…
I've considered a pellet cooker…
I've considered a WSM…
I've even considered one of those big money porcelain toilet jobs…
However, nothing looks like more fun to me than building my own.
Yessir…an Ugly Drum Smoker.
In doing so I figure I’ll also learn more about the “science” of cooking BBQ than I ever would with these others.
I was gonna start a build thread here, but I may be better served by posting it in that monster UDS thread that is already going …or both maybe?? I dunno…Any suggestions appreciated.

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Welcome!
Ain't much you can't do with that Weber!
The price was certainly right!
Do some research on the accessories available for yer 22" & go to town!

Welcome Swine-Enshrined. If you have the space, you may also consider a cinderblock pit. You can find all sorts of ideas on google, or just use your imagination. Depending on the size of pit, your biggest expense may be the grate you use, because at a little over a buck each, you can get far with $20 of blocks.

Chris, I was looking at building a smoker from scratch as well but an off-set vice a drum smoker. I have seen a number of smokers builds on instructables.com with instructions and pictures. Excited to see what you end up creating.

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Mostly a friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome Chris. What part of Atlanta are you in, downtown, outskirts? I have a gasser that has been well used and it did ok. I was at work one day and someone had tossed a Stok kettle grill in the dumpster. I had just built my own UDS and the lid caught my attention because I thought it would give me an option with the UDS. I found the rest of the grill and the only thing it needed was a charcoal grate ($13) and my UDS grates fit, so I was set. Within a couple of days, I grilled my first steak in very many years over charcoal and it was incredible. Needless to say, I haven't used the gasser for steaks since, so I can relate to your find.
Happy to have you and can't wait to see your progress and decisions toward your perfect cooker.

Welocme, Chris!

You've come to the right place, as it seems you've discovered.

I've absolutely loved my 22" kettle. A set of firebricks, and I've got a smoking machine. A Vortex, and I've got a killer indirect griller for steaks and chicken like one dreams about.

Keep the thin blue rolling, and I hope you have fun building the new drum contraption. I need to follow suit along similar lines in the near future.

Back