• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

NG question

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, so please move if not. I cook with charcoal and do no need my NG stub for a grill. I would like to use the stub to feed a NG firebowl using a 20 feet flexible quick disconnect line. Two questions:

1) Is this safe (not worried about tripping hazard)?
2) If so, what BTU level is max in this situation?

Thank you!

You have a natural gas outlet on your patio or outdoor kitchen and want to run another NG appliance like a fire pit from it? Does the fire pit have a regulator for NG or is it set-up for propane.

You have a natural gas outlet on your patio or outdoor kitchen and want to run another NG appliance like a fire pit from it? Does the fire pit have a regulator for NG or is it set-up for propane.

I have a NG stub that is available for a grill, but I don’t use it at all. So no other NG appliances. Just want to run a fire pit that is designed for NG, not propane.

I have a NG stub that is available for a grill, but I don’t use it at all. So no other NG appliances. Just want to run a fire pit that is designed for NG, not propane.

Unless there is a gas company or city rule that things need to be hard piped in, I don't know why a properly rated flexible hose wouldn't be okay. In the 60's my parents bought an aluminum NG grill from the gas company and it had a flexible hose so it could be moved around.

Unless there is a gas company or city rule that things need to be hard piped in, I don't know why a properly rated flexible hose wouldn't be okay. In the 60's my parents bought an aluminum NG grill from the gas company and it had a flexible hose so it could be moved around.

That’s what I figured. But I know there is a max BTU that a BBQ stub can deliver. For instance, I know I can’t go with a 100,000 btu firebowl as the 1/2 pipe can’t deliver that level. Maybe I need to call the gas company tomorrow and ask.

That’s what I figured. But I know there is a max BTU that a BBQ stub can deliver. For instance, I know I can’t go with a 100,000 btu firebowl as the 1/2 pipe can’t deliver that level. Maybe I need to call the gas company tomorrow and ask.

Yeah, when in doubt.... ask. I wonder if you should start with the dealer or manufacturer of the fire pit itself?

Yeah, when in doubt.... ask. I wonder if you should start with the dealer or manufacturer of the fire pit itself?

Already sent an email off to the dealer. But my impatience forced me to ask here in case anyone knew! 😂

Natural gas is delivered at 4 ounces of pressure downstream of the pressure regulator either at the house or at the meter. The deliverability diminishes with the length of the supply line. The gas company should be able to answer your question. However, they will have to make a visual inspection and calculate the total BTU load of all gas equipment within the house. From there they will then calculate the distance of the pipe that delivers to your gas grill stub. Then from there the final 20 feet. Depending on the calculations, you may have to increase the size of the supply line to the stub.

Thanks,

Robert

Natural gas is delivered at 4 ounces of pressure downstream of the pressure regulator either at the house or at the meter. The deliverability diminishes with the length of the supply line. The gas company should be able to answer your question. However, they will have to make a visual inspection and calculate the total BTU load of all gas equipment within the house. From there they will then calculate the distance of the pipe that delivers to your gas grill stub. Then from there the final 20 feet. Depending on the calculations, you may have to increase the size of the supply line to the stub.

Thanks,

Robert

Great info. Thanks, Robert!

Back