• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beans, Beans, The Wonderful Fruit...

What kind of beans do you prefer?

• Baked Beans

Votes: 63 60.0%
  • Pintos (Central Texas Style)

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Charro/Borracho

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters

BigThicket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Beans are, IMO, one of the most essential/iconic sides for BBQ. Having said that, I’m curious which style everyone prefers?

And while we’re at it, what do you do to take a pot of beans to the next level? Let’s hear it.

I like dried beans re hydrated and cooked in many ways. Your poll has no place for me.

Busches Homestyle plus Ranch Style Beans plus Bacon Bits plus Onions plus BBQ Rub plus BBQ Sauce plus Smoke.......

mqs1cxil.jpg
Uz20XJXl.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve tried dried beans from scratch and a lot of bbq baked beans starting from canned beans. I think I actually prefer the canned beans. I get a variety of beans and rinse them to get any extra salt off. Then brown sugar, mustard (DIJON mustard by the way.) worschestcherischier sauce, and other spices, onion, garlic etc. basically a nice homemade bbq sauce... let em cook low and slow.

I agree, beans are the best side for a bbq meal.... and cornbread!!!

Other. I like the Ranch Style beans in the can but growing up we ate a lot of beans and cornbread. It was dry navy or butter beans with ham and onion in our house. Some things never change.

"Once and Future Beans"

Try this one from an old Alton Brown recipe. Ratio of one pound of bacon for every pound of beans. I've let this one cook overnight on many occasions in a Dutch oven at 250 degrees, and it's almost impossible to try and resist eating some in the morning.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe-1938616

This recipe is at least 15 years old and has 154 5-star reviews on Food Network.

If I can only choose one, it would be Proper red beans and rice(You have to have the pickled pork).

I like beans! I have only eaten pinto beans with BBQ two times when traveling in texas and trying places. All the other times, it has been baked beans. To be honest, I skip out on them at my family functions.

I have never been asked to make the beans. My mom n law has the original recipe, and everyone else follows it. Canned baked beans, brown sugar, mustard, ketchup, pepper, onion, bacon slices on top..bake. My preference is to make them less sweet than everybody else likes them, but again...never allowed or asked. I would throw in some peppers (green/jalapeno), some spicy bbq sauce maybe, and change up the type of beans (maybe have multiple types?). Still a little sweet, but not overly sweet.

I’ve tried dried beans from scratch and a lot of bbq baked beans starting from canned beans. I think I actually prefer the canned beans. I get a variety of beans and rinse them to get any extra salt off. Then brown sugar, mustard (DIJON mustard by the way.) worschestcherischier sauce, and other spices, onion, garlic etc. basically a nice homemade bbq sauce... let em cook low and slow.

I agree, beans are the best side for a bbq meal.... and cornbread!!!

I like the way you spell!

I found a great baked bean recipe that I tried over the fourth and I really liked it. It was easy, used a combination of 4 types of beans and wasn't overly sweet. I will post a link if the website will allow.

BBQ beans and smoked at that!

I use 2 cans bushes beans drained well
add 1 can black beans and 1 can red kidney
Mix well and add 1 onion chopped, 1 clove garlic minced, 1 red pepper diced,
brown sugar, bbq sauce, mustard and chopped bacon (I use 1 lb.)

Mix it all together and put in smoker for 2 hours, mix beans about every 1/2 hour.

Back