Hunsaker cooker bark not setting.

sackedbysapp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I cook on a Hunsaker smoker with lump and cherry chunks between 250 and 300, having a problem with the bark not setting on ribs cooking on top rack(not hanging) stays wet than when I sauce them with a brush spreads the rub around. Should I try flipping?

I’ve never cooked ribs on the grate, so I’m really no help :-D But, are you cooking meat up or down?

I flip butts and briskets a couple of times, so maybe try that?

I agree with the suggestion to flip. While on my Hunsaker I hang ribs when I do pork butts I flip every 30-45 minutes and that seems do the trick with evening out the bark.

I serve ribs dry and do not wrap, never had a problem with the bark on Ribs be it hanging or cooking on the grate bone side down, never felt the need to flip ribs cooking on the top grate position or anything else for that matter.

How long are you letting the rub sit on the meat before putting on the smoker?

Try dropping the top rack down 1 level, I surprising get a good amount of moisture on the underside of my lid, perhaps it’s just too close. I dropped mine down when I was doing a turkey and started leaving it there.

I cook on a Gateway, with the Gateway basket(direct heat). I typically hang ribs but have been playing around with cooking them on the grate. If you're having issues with the bark not setting up, 1.Wait longer before wrapping 2.Make sure you're not spritzing them. 3. Go lighter on the rub
I'll check the bottoms every 30min or so, if the bottoms are not getting too dark I wont flip them over. Wait until the ribs are starting to sizzle, and the fat is starting to bubble and then wrap them. The ribs should have a nice color and it will kind of look like foam in some spots where the fat is bubbling. If you're not wrapping ribs, and still having issues setting up the rub, then yeah, try flipping so that the bones are up.

I cook directly on the top grate and never flip. I go 1.5 hours @ 275 and then wrapped for an additional 45-60 minutes. The bark is always set up when I go to wrap. Never had an issue

Back