Backyard Deep Fryer w/ some bells and whistles?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have a deep fryer in their cooking arsenal that they like a lot?

I remember talking to someone during a BBQ class, and he was talking about the fryer he has on his porch that has a built in system for keeping clean etc. I can't remember the name of the brand for the life of me, but I got to thinking if I had a fryer that I could keep the oil in good condition and all the junk would filter down somewhere cleanable I might would like having such a device!

Dad has one of those and really likes it. I've used it a few times and it works well. Very heavy duty. He has the 4 gallon with stand model I believe.

I have the cajun fryer, works awesome.

Dad has one of those and really likes it. I've used it a few times and it works well. Very heavy duty. He has the 4 gallon with stand model I believe.

You guys that have one of these, how does the cleaning work? it says the sediments fall to the bottom in a cooler zone of oil, but wondering how it works as far as cleaning them out.

Maybe as simple as once in a while you use a strainer and scoop it all out?

How long does the oil last in them before having to do a wholesale oil change?

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty newbish when it comes to frying stuff!

My favorite deep fryer is a cast iron dutch oven, on an induction burner. Great temp control, which is the # 1 thing in keeping oil in good shape. Depending on what I cook, I either throw the grease out, or strain it through cheese cloth, and put in an empty oil jug.

I just buy one of the real cheapo ones at Bass Pro or something every few years.

I have had one that had a drain/spigot on the bottom, and that ended up being a bad idea. It's too goopy and messy to actually used, and then it developed a leak!

I mostly fry tortilla chips and a few frozen foods, so I can get many fries out of my oil. But if you're breading catfish or things like that it's getting pretty dark after 3 or 4 fries. A turkey will finish the oil in one fry!

I try to scoop out particulates with a strainer. But I've never been one to run the oil through a filter like some guys. Maybe I should try it.

I've thought about getting a nicer burner for homebrewing and using that for frying as well. But I haven't yet.

I have the RV Works Cajun Fryer, 6 gallon. The bottom of the "pot" is V shaped and the burner sits above the V. All the bits drop to bottom of V where oil is cooler and bits don't burn. There is a drain on the back. I screw a fitting into it with a piece of hose attached to drain and filter. Just put filter in top of jug that oil came in, put hose inside filter, open valve. Once oil is drained, I will scrape out remaining bits. Pour oil back into "pot". Filter after 3 or 4 cooks. Six gallons of oil will be 350 - 375 in 12 -15 min. I fry fish, chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, hush puppies, soft shell crabs, shrimp, corn nuggets, ribs, etc. You name it, I fry it, all in the same oil. No hint of cross contamination. Bought mine off CL for $350. Money well spent.

I haven't fried a turkey in it yet but the guy I bought if from had.

I have the 4 gallon 2 basket Cajun Fryer by R&V Works and it works great. As stated in previous reply you can filter the oil and clean out the fryer as often as you like. I have a friend that went a whole year without changing or filtering the oil. I ate some fried fish that he cooked toward the end of that year (I didn't know this at the time, lol), and the fish tasted great and I didn't get sick. I certainly don't recommend this but the design of the fryer really does work well. They are super heavy duty and will last a very long time. They're not cheap, but I highly recommend this fryer.

Back