***April Special: MASTER'S CUT*** "2018 Brisket Master!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New April Special Throwdown Category is..."2018 Brisket Master!"

0C39679C-3B77-482E-95EC-5799307D1F6C.jpg

This was Tonybel's winning entry in the 2016 Brisket Master Throwdown

MASTER'S CUT CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING:

1. Your entry must consist of Beef Brisket as a primary feature.

2. You must cook the meat using a charcoal and/or wood fired grill or smoker, or over an open wood fire.

3. Only one entry may be submitted per person.

4. You must submit one photo of your cut of meat in raw form, another one while it is on the cooker (note it does not still have to be in raw form while cooking), and one photo of your completed dish. You must include these 3 to showcase the piece of meat, how you're cooking it, and the result. In other words, your entry will include 3 photos, not one. If you submit more than three photos, you MUST indicate which three you want used for judging. You are encouraged to post your full cook thread in QT, and link back here to this entry thread, but you MUST include these three photos in this entry thread.

Here is an example from a previous Master's Cut TD Vote thread of how entries should be submitted:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...4&postcount=12

5. No sides are allowed. You may however dress your dish with other (edible) items to pull the dish together into one specific entree. For example, with a short rib you could make a bed of salad greens, topped with sliced short rib. However, a short rib or short ribs with a baked potato and/or asparagus on the side is not allowed. The entree you create must stand on its own.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 3/30/18 through the entry submission deadline of 12pm (NOON), Central US Time on Monday 4/30/18.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday 4/30/18

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

The winner will get exclusive rights to be called "BBQ Brethren 2018 Brisket Master", which you can feel free to add to your signature, proclaim to the world, tatoo on your forehead, have printed on hats, or whatever the heck strikes your fancy. :biggrin1:

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
This is an entry...

We had a smallish SRF brisket in the freezer from last summer (around 11.5 lbs.) and decided to cook it yesterday. We had two goals with the cook...

1. Test out a new injection, rub and sauce combo
  2. Have brisket to eat and use in chile

So, based on those goals, I didn't go nuts with the trimming. I separated the flat and point and cleaned it up a fit, but that was about it.

C78836_D6-_C8_DD-4_EEE-_B789-_FE3_C9630_ABE8.jpg

Please use this picture for the entry

In typical fashion, I managed to cut myself while doing the trimming :shock:

1ED893DC-80E9-455A-A8C3-38F1AF94FAF7.jpg

I pulled Bluebird out of the garage and got it up to 350 degrees and put the brisket in. The temp settled in at 300 and held there beautifully.

A6FD7D09-2F63-44D6-A5C6-62110C998961.jpg

After about 90 minutes (based on bark color) I foiled the point and let the flat ride for a bit.

8E71FCF2-A2AA-4AD5-ABFE-B51482F4CF46.jpg

Please use this picture for the entry

About 30 minutes later the flat was foiled (again based on color) and I lowered the drum to 250. Two hours later I checked the flat for tenderness and it still had a little resistance to my probe :shock: :-D so I let it go for another 20 minutes and pulled the flat and point when the flat was probe tender. Both went into a warm oven to rest (my Cambro is in our trailer)

When it was time to eat (about another hour) we sliced the flat and cubed the point and hit them with a little sauce.

886E5012-5929-476F-8BEE-9AB45CFC666B.jpg

A455C387-919F-4F17-98B0-CE84AF186CC6.jpg

Please use this picture for the entry.

The flat slices were moist and tender and had a great beefy flavor, and the burnt ends were melt in your mouth tender. Aside from the little battle wound on my finger, I'd say that the goals for this cook were well met!

Last edited:
Thanks Tom and Moose! I have been using postimage.org for hosting and apparently they lost that domain and it is now postimg.cc for picture links. I updated them and they pictures should be back.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom and Moose! I have been using postimage.org for hosting and apparently they lost that domain and it is not postimg.cc for picture links. I updated them and they pictures should be back.

Pics are showing up fine now, Ron. :thumb:

My entry for MASTER'S CUT 2018 Brisket Master Throwdown

Please accept this as my entry....

This is the first brisket I've ever cooked.

P.S. I'm also new to posting...so...I hope I did this correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_7515.jpg
    IMG_7515.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_7488.jpg
    IMG_7488.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_7505.jpg
    IMG_7505.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 484
Scott, you hit a home run with your first brisket (and this old Texan has seen quite a few of them).

Strong work there!

I have 4 prime and maybe a Wagyu going on Saturday night. Any chance quantity counts over quality? Cause there are some serious entries already...

brisket is resting, then it's the moment of truth.....fingers crossed for something picture worthy. It jiggled like jello so I am optimistic :thumb:

Y'all make me so jealous with that smoke ring. I've tried everything except for cheating and using Pink Salt. I have it. Just refuse to do that to get it. This time, I trimmed the five briskets earlier in the day, back into the fridge, then individually rubbed them down straight from the fridge, right to the smoker. Barely got any, and not much on the beautiful brisket I wanted to showcase. Either way, great brisket, so I am happy with that. I just want that damn PINK HIGHLIGHTER look.

Been a long day. I am so tired, but I want to at least make sure I get my entry in. Please consider the following as my entry.

F54D7E5F-A5B1-4EA6-A228-79EE513C48AA_zpswb0qzjuk.jpg

CDEC618E-8D09-4006-8361-E3CD69B82EB5_zps4m6zxeej.jpg

Photocrack is giving me hell and not loading the picture I want, so here's the picture of the 7 QT crockpot full of brisket I took to the bar.

D38CDA41-53DB-4074-8847-D83BDD18B959_zpsexju2jnh.jpg

Back