Thingfish pretty much explained it. All I can add is it works. Everything hung cooks very evenly. Only thing I've noticed is with ribs if the tip is closer than about 3" to the coals the first 1/2" will get over cooked. But it's actually still good. I just keep that bone for myself. My cooker will stay about 275 as Thingfish stated. I haven't made a brisket yet but I'll let you know how it goes. Probably cooking it up Sunday.

Great info Guys! Thanks!

Andrew....going to do 2racks of babys..... 2 racks of spares and our local Kroger had a HUGE sale on pork loin so one of those as well.......also gonna try a pan of chocolate chip cookies after that....can't wait for PBC Sunday........

Andrew....going to do 2racks of babys..... 2 racks of spares and our local Kroger had a HUGE sale on pork loin so one of those as well.......also gonna try a pan of chocolate chip cookies after that....can't wait for PBC Sunday........

That's awesome! :thumb: Post some pics if you can. Cant wait to hear how it all tastes! Especially those cookies!

OK got my first ever brisket cooking now. Its a choice, 11 lb brisket. I may have trimmed too much but oh well its my first. I'm gonna probably wrap but not until I get the bark I'm looking for. I'm sure it'll be close to 165 as Noah states. Not gonna put a liquid in the wrap though. Gonna see how that works out. I lightly coated it with olive oil thrn rubbed with PBC beef and game. Here are some before and after trimming pics. Don't laugh too hard....lol. :mrgreen: You can see in the last pic I trimmed fat from between the point and flat which left a flap. That is similar to the way Noah trimmed in his first brisket video from a couple years ago. I noticed he has a newer video where he doesn't trim as much.
The PBC has settled in at 265-270. Perfect as far as I'm concerned!

Attachments

• 20150627_121002.jpg
    20150627_121002.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 231
  • 20150627_121047.jpg
    20150627_121047.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 20150627_124144.jpg
    20150627_124144.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 20150627_124230.jpg
    20150627_124230.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 20150627_124250.jpg
    20150627_124250.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 230
DId 8 racks, St Louis and three Butts yesterday for work party. Best ribs I made yet! I've found my ribs take 5-6 hours on the PBC.

DId 8 racks, St Louis and three Butts yesterday for work party. Best ribs I made yet! I've found my ribs take 5-6 hours on the PBC.

Awesome! 5-6 hours seems long for ribs but hey if they were good that's all that matters. :becky: Mine usually go about 4-4 1/2 hours.

I aim for 10-12lb briskets in general and especially in the PBC so size is perfect. A little too trimmed but your looking good regardless. I say about 6 hours total cooking time.

Good luck! I absolutely love briskets the PBC does and so will you. :thumb:

I aim for 10-12lb briskets in general and especially in the PBC so size is perfect. A little too trimmed but your looking good regardless. I say about 6 hours total cooking time.

Good luck! I absolutely love briskets the PBC does and so will you. :thumb:

Thanks brother!. ....How do you cook yours? Do you wrap in foil and put in a liquid or do something different?

Thanks brother!. ....How do you cook yours? Do you wrap in foil and put in a liquid or do something different?

Mine has been in for 2.5 hrs and hit 165. I'm going to pull it and wrap it with broth. We're not eating till 3. That's 4 more hours. I'm going to throw a chicken after I pull the brisket when it's done. Brisket will go into a cooler.
http://imgur.com/EEz4esk

I hang it til160 or desired bark, wrap in butcher paper and lay it on the grate until probe tender. I have also wrapped in foil before I started using butcher paper and haven't used liquid ever.

When I used to use foil, Btw nothing wrong with foil, sometimes I wrapped and hung until the end of the cook instead on the grate.

When doing burnt ends, I separate point from flat, while flat is resting I cube and sauce the point, put it in foil or disposable aluminum tray uncovered and let it go until it's serving time of the flat.

I hang it til160 or desired bark, wrap in butcher paper and lay it on the grate until probe tender. I have also wrapped in foil before I started using butcher paper and haven't used liquid ever.

When I used to use foil, Btw nothing wrong with foil, sometimes I wrapped and hung until the end of the cook instead on the grate.

When doing burnt ends, I separate point from flat, while flat is resting I cube and sauce the point, put it in foil or disposable aluminum tray uncovered and let it go until it's serving time of the flat.

Thanks! I want to do butcher paper too, but I forgot to buy it :shock:. I was wondering about burnt ends. Maybe I'll try those too. Is there a particular sauce you use. I have Stubbs original and one I made. The one I made is a vinegar ketchup sauce that us on the sweeter side. Also how do you know when the burnt ends are done?

Thanks! I want to do butcher paper too, but I forgot to buy it :shock:. I was wondering about burnt ends. Maybe I'll try those too. Is there a particular sauce you use. I have Stubbs original and one I made. The one I made is a vinegar ketchup sauce that us on the sweeter side. Also how do you know when the burnt ends are done?

I always keep trying different sauces so whatever is on hand. Point is so fatty that you can leave it on the cooker while flat is resting. They way I know theyre done is when they the sauce has caramelized on them really well and formed a mahogany color bark if I make sense. They're crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. Here's a pic and was done on the PBC

Got better pics but on my cell now

20140301_170237.jpg

Ssv3-that may not be a great pic, but the brisket and burnt ends look phenomenal!

Good luck Andrew.

^^^I agree!

And thanks ssv3!

So the temp in my PBC was holding 270-275 great then it started to drop. Once it hit 244 I opened it up. The coals were burning funny. Anyway I pulled a rod and turned the coal basket so the more unburned coals were toward the intake. Settled back in to 270ish. Anyone else ever have something similar happen?

^^^I agree!

And thanks ssv3!

So the temp in my PBC was holding 270-275 great then it started to drop. Once it hit 244 I opened it up. The coals were burning funny. Anyway I pulled a rod and turned the coal basket so the more unburned coals were toward the intake. Settled back in to 270ish. Anyone else ever have something similar happen?

I get that sometimes and I think the pizza pan aka ash pan underneath the fire basket is the culprit. The raised pan edges may be obstructing the airflow. IIRC you had a pan in there also?

I get that sometimes and I think the pizza pan aka ash pan underneath the fire basket is the culprit. The raised pan edges may be obstructing the airflow. IIRC you had a pan in there also?

Yeah I have a pan in also. Maybe the next cook will be without.

Anyway I hit the dreaded stall at about 162. I'm liking the color so I'm about to pull it and wrap. I'll take a pic. It's been cooking nearly 5 hours :shock:

Back