• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Marinade for Beef over Coal

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What is everyone's go to marinade for grilled steak?

Getting a little tired of my go to Salt, pepper, garlic, and onion.

I know it's probably sacrilegious to ruin great beef, but every now and then when I want to change it up, I will marinate steaks in A-1. I can't stand the stuff as a dipping sauce, but it is a pretty killer marinade.

Ed

When I want to go sacrilegious with a steak, I use Dad's recipe:

Douse on both sides with the ONLY Worcestershire sauce, Lea & Perrins. Sprinkle with dried minced garlic, salt, and coarse pepper. Press the spices in to the steak. Allow to marinate in the open until at room temperature, or no more than a couple hours, or it will be too salty, Grill hot and fast, 3 min then 2 min per side , or less.

The flavor is really good, no sauce needed. Don't use this method in a cast iron skillet, it makes a hell of a sticky burnt mess!

I don't remember Dad doing it , but I sometimes let a steak sit in the fridge until the whole thing is a light shade of brown, four days or so. Rinse the funk off and dry very well with paper towels before seasoning.

It's been a while since I've done it, but I used to love marinating cheap cuts of beef in eye-talian dressing. Been meaning to do that again, but have been on the s&p train for quite a while and still enjoying it.

Phubar cooked us a marinated Phlank steak a Phew years back and it was amazing. I asked about the recipe and he said "I just did the Phirst one that came up in a google search." :laugh: It really was good - probably allrecipes or one oPh those other sites like that.

I don't measure this:
Lotsa (4 to 8 cloves) chopped or pressed garlic
Soy sauce-1/4 to 1/2 cup
Dijon or brown mustard-2 tbsp
Red wine vinegar 3 or 4 tbsp
Fresh Black pepper

Mix, marinade 4 to 8 hours

Last edited:
I like them in a soy based marinade sometimes. Usually soy sauce, garlic, etc. Turns out pretty good.

Allegro and Dale's both make great marinades. I prefer Allegro. Usually just use for kabobs or shoulder steaks.

Instead of a wet marinade, you could change up your dry rub and add to your existing SPOG:
  • Ancho or Chipotle powder
  • Chile powder
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Smoked Paprika
  • Cumin

You could even keep SPOG and dress it up after grilling by adding butter.

Back