View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

Smile Christmas Eve Rib Roast and all the fixing's

First let me explain my absence for the last few months. Between my work going crazy, family obligations, Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping and me doing my annual Christmas display, I’ve been extremely busy and away from cooking since the last week of October. This year I synchronized my Christmas display to music. (Via computer software and relay controllers) As this was my first time doing this it took way more time than normal. My display is over 20,000 lights and there are 84 individual circuits that go on and off sync’d up to the music.

Hence my absence from the forum.

Well I was finally able to get in a cook this weekend. Every year I host our family Christmas get together. My 2 brothers that live out here in California, come down from the L.A. area with my niece and nephew. We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales. (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) The next we’ll do Turkey and last year we did a nice Honey Baked Ham. Well this year we decided to try a Ribeye Roast. My preparations started the night before when I made up some Horseradish Sauce.

Horseradish Sauce Recipe: (Tweaked from Chef John on Food Wishes)
1/2 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
pinch of cayenne
2 teaspoon thinly sliced chives. (I like to use Dill)
2 tablespoons extra hot (Atomic) pure horseradish (not horseradish sauce)

I had this nice boneless Ribeye Roast in my freezer that I started thawing last Sunday.

Early Saturday I made up a Rosemary and Garlic rub / paste to use on it.

Rub Recipe: (From Larry of BEER-N-BBQ by Larry)
1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
OO

I unwrapped the roast and trimmed off most of the hard fat.

I applied the rub (paste)

and then covered it with plastic wrap and let it set on the counter for the next 4 hours to come up to room temperature.

Around noon I placed my veggies in the drip pan with 1/2 cup of water. (For the gravy)

Set up my kamado for direct / indirect cooking. I let it came up to 250 degrees before I put on the roast.

Here it is 2 hours into the cook.

While it was cooking we set the table from our guests.

After it reached an internal temperature of 127 I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium)

Once the CI grate was nice and hot I put on the roast for 2 minutes per side.

And here it is resting on my kitchen counter.

Here is a pic of me slicing it.

Most everyone at the table waiting to dig in.

And here it is plated with a Stone Brewing “Farking Wheaton Woot Stout” on the side. Both are waiting to be devoured.

Even though this was cooked to medium it was delicious. The rub / paste developed into a nice crust that was absolutely delicious.

I will be doing this again real soon. (Hopefully to Medium Rare)

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->