Breaking out the new WSM

jwh1104

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Since its a beautiful 67 degrees here in NC I figured Id break out the new WSM. Got some chicken and ribs going now :). Will post some pics later :).

I look forward to your pics...Enjoy the weather, smoke and the food!

:biggrin1:
29 and overcast, perfect winter day in MN for smoking!
Ribs, bacon candy, chicken and sirloin roast on smoker.
Enjoy your cook!

I get the feeling someone got all fat and happy and forgot about the pics... :mrgreen:

Enjoy your WSM! I love mine and think it's still one of the biggest bangs for the buck in BBQ.

The new toy. WSM 18.5

IMAG0295_zps3vahq712.jpg

IMAG0296_zpsef8oazkf.jpg

Was a little worried about trying to do boneless skinless breasts but they turned out amazing.

IMAG0294_zpsyncsgjta.jpg

Ribs turned out a little bit dark and had a little issue with some temps shooting up but they tasted good and they were perfect tenderness just dark. Will take some time to get used the WSM. But always up for more practice. Any tips would be appreciated.

IMAG0297_zpspuja3ipe.jpg

Sorry it took a lil to get pics up.

It looks so clean! I hope that won't last :).

Did you have water in the water pan? You can get temp swings if you don't have water (or if it all boils off), or if you have strong winds. Also I think it takes a few cooks to get enough gunk on it that it seals up all the places where it can leak air.

Yeah I had water in the pan and I do think that it did boil out there wasnt much left in the pan. I kind of figured that was the cause of the swing. Also had pretty strong winds here all day but it ran great the first 3 hours or so, so im guessing the water pan.

Your rubs burned. Definitely running too hot. Get an oven thermometer that will sit on the grate and tune it in to that for temp. It helped me to do that. Take it from a new WSM owner it will shorten the learning curve. Plus it seemed to run hot the first few times I cooked with mine until it gets gunk sealing off the air leaks. It happens trust me it takes time. I am still getting use to mine. I am a pellet guy going to WSM 14.5" as I need something more portable for competition.

If it was out in the wind, the temps were bound to jump up and down some, especially on a new smoker. It was like that here at the beach. Nice looking setup, ribs look great to me.

Welcome to the world of WSM! My second smoker was a 22.5 and I've burned that beast up on a number of occasions. (not literally, but you get the idea). I can churn out some stellar BBQ on it.

I will point you to one off-site resource which is similar to the Brethren, but has a lot of user insights into the WSM world: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/. Give that a shot too and enjoy your cooks!

You know, or maybe You should know You have to gunk the WSM. Till that moment the T will be to hot easily.
First try, first goal IMO. You will love how WSM works steady for hours specially if you combine it with ATC.

Looks good for a first run. You'll get better understanding and control of it as you use it more.

Take a look at the link in my signature. You may not decide to do any of the mods I did to mine, but it also lists how I use my 22.5 and maintain more consistent temps.

Back