Thawing meat on counter?

Took out a package of breakfast sausage before going to bed. Left it in the sink and getting ready to cook it now.

If I don't come back, it was wrong.

I feel great and the sausage (Bear) was awesome!

I mostly thaw in the drying rack in the sink. (more even air flow)
Or I thaw in a cooler with a block of ice like others mention.
But I do not let the protein get room temp/warm, either.
Most recommendations are to let beef/pork to sit out till room temp before smoking.
From all the postings here. I think I'm good with what I do. I grew up in the 50's. Like many others here. Where leaving food out on the counter, or sitting out in the sun at picnic's to thaw etc was the typical practice.

Took out a package of breakfast sausage before going to bed. Left it in the sink and getting ready to cook it now.

If I don't come back, it was wrong.

Ha, glad I'm not the only one. Happened with a pack of bacon years ago, I'll be damned if I'm not going to eat it! Still here. Not saying it was smart, but I smell it and make as informed a decision I can.

Nope, always in a bowl or cooler filled with water.

I'll set out in the sink or on a plate any kind of frozen protein to give it a head start, then once it is over say 50-60% thawed, I'll move it to the fridge. I don't do this with ground meats though, they just go into the fridge.

I've been doing it for 15 years and have never had a problem. I generally will defrost for a few hours the night before a cook and throw everything in the fridge right before bed. No issues whatsoever.

Counter, in the fridge overnight, or I speed thaw in a sink of room temp water. About 95% of what we have to thaw has been vacuum sealed. We buy large packages and separate to meal portions. Water-logging is not an issue that way. I can thaw almost anything in the sink in 30 minutes or less. Just gotta change the water back to room temp if it's a big item.

There's a good hour and half between my getting home and the wife getting home. If she has left something on the counter to thaw all day then I usually put it in the fridge when I get home.

I've thawed meat on the counter my whole adult life, never had a problem.

Thawed out some spare ribs in the sink just last night. I get up early and put them in the fridge.

The only way I thaw is either sink left out or add cold water. Y'all must be way better planners than I am. I hardly ever know what I want to eat days in advance. If I am lucky I can figure it out hours in advance. Never bothered me once...yet haha

Yep! But it depends on what I'm thawing out which will determine how long I leave it on the counter. Ribs, chicken and anything under 5 # I'll leave out for about 2-3 hours. If it's not thawed out by then, then it's into cold water in the sink to finish the thaw. Butts and briskets get a 3-4 day thaw in the refrigerator.

Back