View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #24
glaudds
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
My method is pretty much low and slow but with a twist. I start the cook at 250, allowing for good smoke penetration and bark formation for the first three to four hours. When the stall starts at about the 160 internal mark I'll go ahead and crank the pit up to between 275 and 300. If I'm in a hurry I'll go ahead and wrap the brisket in butcher paper at that point but normally I'll just let it go naked and the increased temperature helps get through the stall more quickly, (the butcher paper kicks it into overdrive and powers through the stall really fast). I've tried the high and fast temps over 300 and while I got a tender brisket and in record time, I didn't think that the flavor was quite there. I think that the first few hours of a cook are crucial for getting the smoke and seasonings into the meat and it seemed to me that starting at too high a temp almost seared the meat to the point of not allowing anything to penetrate! I have no scientific proof of this but just my own observation, from my own experience.
Thanks for the suggestion. Whatever method I chose, I plan to initially keep it simple with the fewest amount of variables. Once I done a few and get the hang of it, then I will attempt to improvise and try to improve my technique from there.
glaudds is offline   Reply With Quote