• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

what is your greatest BBQ accomplishment?

My greatest BBQ accomplishment was my first year of competing. Keep in mind this is only my second year doing this.

We were taking our Oldest son to Fort Bliss and decided to do a BBQ competition with him before he shipped out to Iraq. Well short story we won our 1st GC with him there and helping during the entire cook. Later, we were told this comp was an automatic to the "JACK!" We made the trip to Lynchburg and place 4th in Pork at the JACK. WOW, I was on cloud nine to be at the JACK with such great talented teams and then to actually get a call was amazing. My Dad came up from South Carolina and shared the experience with me and my Family, it truly was a game changer for me.

Larry
MAD DAWGZ BBQ

As an organizer the things I'm proudest of are 1) helping to grow the competition BBQ scene on Long Island, 2) Building the relationships that I have that have transcended BBQ with competitors and judges, 3) being able to help the various charities that we have worked with through the events.

As a competitor, the things that I'm happiest about are spending the time with family at events. I compete with my sister and my niece and we have my parents dropping by, my cousins stopping in, my BiL coming by and we have lots of friends join us. It really sounds corny, but the concern I have over placing is minimal compared to watching my niece carefully prep the meat or how excited she gets if we are lucky enough to get a call or just make something we are happy with.

Corny, but truthful.

Eric

Cranking out the thousands of meals with the fellow brethren as part of Operation BBQ Relief after Sandy, tops the list of a rookie year that seemed to look like a lifetime of accomplishments.

Always a pleasure to see you and your family at these events.

This is an easy one.

It took us 5 years, and close to 50 contests to hit our first GC at the end of 2011. We then turned around and got two more at the local and regional for Sam's. This turned into an epic 1 month road trip hitting the Royal, Sam's National, and The Jack - and getting calls at all three. (OK, the Jack call was for best booth...but take 'em where you get 'em :becky:)

It was a great experience, and we got there after a lot of ups and downs. We learned a lot about teamwork along the way, and made a lot of friends. It's the pinnacle of our BBQ journey so far, and looking forward to see where it goes next.

I suppose all of these are tied for first.....

Cooking 21 Contests in our first serious Season with my wife and we're still Married
Meeting a whole new group of people who have offered us the proverbial the shirt off of their backs to help and have become friends in the process
A GC in this first Year
A 180 Brisket!
Cooking the Royal and not finishing DAL

Next Up,
Meeting Scottie Johnson,

My Next Goal.
Have a visit and a Nip with the New King, Big Poppa!

,ahahahahahahahadj. Great one. I'll have a nip of pelligrino. Doesn't meeting Scottie Johnson sound like a movie title?

I think it's a movie about the life and times of a closet Packer's fan!

For me it was developing enough confidence (with encouragement from some great Brethren friends) to enter my first comp. 6th in pork and 5th in brisket at that comp just fueled the fire.

First place brisket in 2011 at Warrens, WI was pretty dang cool too!

I'm hoping that in January, 2014 that I'll be able to say I met Scottie Johnson.

Eric

Meh, I've met Scottie Johnson.
shiner.gif

This is an easy one.

It took us 5 years, and close to 50 contests to hit our first GC at the end of 2011. We then turned around and got two more at the local and regional for Sam's. This turned into an epic 1 month road trip hitting the Royal, Sam's National, and The Jack - and getting calls at all three. (OK, the Jack call was for best booth...but take 'em where you get 'em :becky:)

It was a great experience, and we got there after a lot of ups and downs. We learned a lot about teamwork along the way, and made a lot of friends. It's the pinnacle of our BBQ journey so far, and looking forward to see where it goes next.

It was good to meet you at the Sam's National. We could tell you were having the time of your life.

I think my favorite is our team getting three calls and placing 7th out of 55ish teams at our very first competition, which we did on short notice with a borrowed smoker that we had never cooked on before.

Also, getting a 1st in ribs on our cook's brand new smoker with no test runs was pretty awesome.

Last edited:
but it does make for a really tasty chicken thigh at the tailgate.

Yes it did. We received an apology from the reps in the end for their mistake. It didn't cost any money because we finished 10th overall. Even had we gotten a good score we would not have finished in the money (top 3). We made our famous Polock non fried, bbq fried chicken (high temp egg washed skin smoked chicken)

1st ribs, 1st chefs choice, 3rd chicken and 9th brisket with 108 entries
34ee006f.jpg

For me so far it has been only 2 Sam's Club competitions in my career and finished:

Local:3 place ribs; 1st place pork butt and 3rd place overall
Regional: 1st place chicken

Haven't done another competition since the regional event last year but hope to do more soon. This year, unfortunately, might be out as I might have a little BBQ Pitmaster on the way. If that happens, my next goal will be to do a competition with him/her.

GC with my son cooking with me on Father's Day weekend last year. It was nice since as soon as it was announced, he said "now I can tell her to shut up!!" The previous year I GC'd with just my daughter with me and apparently she had been telling him that I can't win with him around. LOL

Farking kids.

I've competed in 9 competitions over teh pat two years. I would say that my greatest accomplishment competing was getting a GC and a 1st place ribs in my 9th comp would be it. Getting the email saying that I've been invited to the 2013 AR Invitational was also pretty darn cool (too bad I can't find the email now, hrmmmm).

Like so many others have previously said, there is nothing greater than being accpeted into a community with open arms where a complete stranger will literally give you the shirt off his back. I've met so many wonderful people so far, and there are still countless more to make acquaintences with. Can't wait for 2013!

Back