• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Ditto on the heavy duty foil on the bottom. Just fold it up toss it in the trash and you are done ... no chains .. no pans ... no nuthin' ... I'm not too creative ... only lazy ..

" you should have built a uds and saved money or just bought a wsm "

there,.. now this pbc thread is official ! your welcome. :-D :laugh:

EDIT: Yes I know the OP specifically requested this not happen,... but,.. we all know a pbc thread doesn't feel right without somebody farkin it up with the classic line! lol :bow:

" you should have built a uds and saved money or just bought a wsm "

there,.. now this pbc thread is official ! your welcome. :-D :laugh:

EDIT: Yes I know the OP specifically requested this not happen,... but,.. we all know a pbc thread doesn't feel right without somebody farkin it up with the classic line! lol :bow:

I'm good with jokes too. I know you were just funnin, I can appreciate that. And your right, it wouldn't be a PBC thread without such comnents. It's Official now! :becky:

10 pound butt and fatty yesterday

Held average of 275 degrees for 11 hours,

Just put the fatty on. The butt has been on for a little over three hours. I love my PBC,

Attachments

• IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 2,170
This is what happens if you leave a PBC and a WSM alone for to long:clap2:! I havent actually fired this up yet but the fit is good and I could have four racks going. The other pic is just a Kingsford lid that fits perfect. It allows me to add a grate on top of the rebar and for higher temps I can open up the daisy wheel. If I put it on top of the original lid its a poor mans warmer. Yeah I have the "collectors edition" powder coat. Imagine how sweet the WSM/PBC hybrid would look w all porcelain:razz:

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,983
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,979
This is what happens if you leave a PBC and a WSM alone for to long:clap2:! I havent actually fired this up yet but the fit is good and I could have four racks going. The other pic is just a Kingsford lid that fits perfect. It allows me to add a grate on top of the rebar and for higher temps I can open up the daisy wheel. If I put it on top of the original lid its a poor mans warmer. Yeah I have the "collectors edition" powder coat. Imagine how sweet the WSM/PBC hybrid would look w all porcelain:razz:

That's awesome! I've thought about doing the exact same thing as your second picture. I tried to use a weber 18.5 lid but it was slightly too small. I'm gonna be looking for a Kingsford lid now!

If you cook on the wsm/pbc mod post it. I'd like to hear about it. :thumb:

I just figured out that if after you complete your smoking and you want do some fast grilling of steaks, burgers or veggies you have an option with the PBC. All you need to do is pick up an extra 18 in grate, place the fire basket on the main grate, and place the additional grate on top of the rebar. I have not done any grilling yet that way, but it seems like it would work fairly well. Thoughts?
EDIT:Might also work well for reverse sear of things like a tri tip.

That's an excellent idea! I bet you could also use your charcoal grate from the 22.5 weber kettle to sit the coal basket on if you are worried about warping a grill grate. :thumb:

I just figured out that if after you complete your smoking and you want do some fast grilling of steaks, burgers or veggies you have an option with the PBC. All you need to do is pick up an extra 18 in grate, place the fire basket on the main grate, and place the additional grate on top of the rebar. I have not done any grilling yet that way, but it seems like it would work fairly well. Thoughts?
EDIT:Might also work well for reverse sear of things like a tri tip.

Yes it will work fine. Just like my Big Poppa has a nest charcoal basket that with a hook pulls up and rests in upper U bolts. All I gotta do is pull the top grate, use the stainless hook rod it comes with...pull it up and replace my grate. It is great for reverse sear, plus lots of other ways to cook with it.

You can red neck your PB to do basically the same thing but it won't be a 22.5" and you have some more fiddling with stuff.

Just like i indirect cooked my peppers the other day but i used the outside zone.

Only use a low level of charcoal...as it gets insanely hot over the middle!!

My computer is broke so i can't show you some super sear pics..but you gotta be careful not too use to much charcoal.

Of course this is no problem for the PBJ because its also a grill with a high sear capability :grin:

Last edited:
That's an excellent idea! I bet you could also use your charcoal grate from the 22.5 weber kettle to sit the coal basket on if you are worried about warping a grill grate. :thumb:

A cheap one actually can warp, but not a good one like a Weber... they can get stupid hot depending on the fuel and how much. I've got mine down to a science now but it'll take some experimenting on your part. For some cooks I use my holy pizza diffuser pan over top the basket...GREAT for wings! Slow cook a little on the outside then hot cook middle

Can you try it out and let me know if the grill grate fits? Raining here.

Back