Let the smoke begin...after some questions.

Patrice

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm finally smoking my first piece of meat tomorrow. I bought a rack of spares and a bone-in, skin-on, suckling pig whole pork shoulder.
P1020343.jpg

and I just received my cherry wood shipment from Smokinlicious.
P1020344.jpg

and prepared BlueHowler's pork dry rub today.

At first, I thought I could do the ribs and shoulder at the same time but it looks a bit too tight for my taste on the kettle and I don't feel like rolling up the ribs for my first try. So ribs will be on tommorow and pork shoulder next week.

So, just so I can get the usual it's done when it's done (I'll be trying the bend test) about how long can I expect to wait before it's ready if I smoke around 250F (hoping the kettle will work with me and not against me.) Also, is there any sort of resting time involved for ribs? I'll be re-reading Landarc's posts about the minion method in the kettle and might be back with more questions.

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow and hope that my wife won't be laughing too much? "Why are you taking pictures of your wood?!?:crazy:"

Last edited:
Sorry, forgot to resize the pics again. I'll eventually get used to this. For the beerheads out there, I'll be drinking the Hopfen Weisse a collaboration between Schneider and Sohn and the Brooklyn Brewery. Good stuff!

Bienvenue sur le forum. La viande et le bois fière allure. S'il vous plaît envoyer des photos de votre cuisinier. Je vous remercie.

La réponse en français est appréciée. C'est la première fois que je vais utiliser le porc de ce fournisseur pour la barbecue mais l'épaule de cochonnet a toujours été succulente. je n'en espère pas moins une fois fumée. Wish me luck!

La réponse en français est appréciée. C'est la première fois que je vais utiliser le porc de ce fournisseur pour la barbecue mais l'épaule de cochonnet a toujours été succulente. je n'en espère pas moins une fois fumée. Wish me luck!

J'aime les Canadiens français. Cela ressemble à de la viande de très haute qualité. Je suis postive il sortira pour vous. Je vous souhaite la meilleure des chances!

Bienvenue sur le forum. La viande et le bois fière allure. S'il vous plaît envoyer des photos de votre cuisinier. Je vous remercie.
:doh::roll::hand:

Folks, I only speak English here! :cool:

I said, "Welcome to the forum. Meat and wood look great. Please send photos of your chef. Thank you."

He said, "The French response is appreciated. This is the first time I use the pork supplier for the barbecue but the shoulder of jack has always been terrific. I do hope not least smoke. Wish me luck!"

I said, "I love french canadians. That meat looks like very high quality. I am postive it will come out great for you. I wish you the best of luck!"

On a kettle I would say 3 of the chunk size you have. I use a 22.5" WSM and put 4 fist sized wood chunks in, but it is much larger than a kettle. Try the three chunks and see how you like it and adjust accordingly. You never want to over smoke meat.

As thunderstorms might be on their way in the afternoon tomorrow, I think I'm gonna have to plan the ribs for lunch. Any idea how long a rack of spares takes around 250F no foil? Just trying to figure out when I should wake up. And incidentally, when I should go to bed.

Last weekend, I finished a rather large (thick) rack of spare ribs in almost exactly five hours at 234F - no foiling.
Le weekend dernier, j'ai terminé un assez grand (épaisseur) en rack de côtes levées dans presque exactement cinq heures à 234F - pas déjouer.

I hope this helps!
J'espère que cela aide!

(Try translate.google.com for those who want to follow along.)

As thunderstorms might be on their way in the afternoon tomorrow, I think I'm gonna have to plan the ribs for lunch. Any idea how long a rack of spares takes around 250F no foil? Just trying to figure out when I should wake up. And incidentally, when I should go to bed.

About 5 hours. Use the bend test to check for doneness.

What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual
What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual
What do you call someone who speaks more than three languages? Multilingual
What do you call someone who speaks only one language? An American

(That's an old joke all around the rest of the world.)

Last weekend, I finished a rather large (thick) rack of spare ribs in almost exactly five hours at 234F - no foiling.
Le weekend dernier, j'ai terminé un assez grand (épaisseur) en rack de côtes levées dans presque exactement cinq heures à 234F - pas déjouer.

I hope this helps!
J'espère que cela aide!

(Try translate.google.com for those who want to follow along.)

Was it done in a kettle or a dedicated smoker?

(By the way, I understand english easily, I just thought it was I nice gesture to a newbie.)

3 chunks waaay too much in a kettle.

put in 1 see how it smokes, put in another if the the blue smoke goes away before 2 hours.

i can't say about timing, i don't cook whole spares.

Was it done in a kettle or a dedicated smoker?

(By the way, I understand english easily, I just thought it was I nice gesture to a newbie.)
I cooked it in the UDS last weekend, although I have cooked them on the kettle, indirect with heat shield using the Minion method - which produces a steady 244F - and I cook them about the same amount of time. Each rack varies quite a bit, but five hours without foiling is a good target, I think.

Oh - also when cooking as above in my kettle, I very loosely lay a piece of foil over the top of the ribs to keep the top from getting too crispy.

Also - boogiesnap is right - start with 1 chunk. The key is to have thin, blue smoke slowly coming from the kettle.

What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual
What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual
What do you call someone who speaks more than three languages? Multilingual
What do you call someone who speaks only one language? An American

(That's an old joke all around the rest of the world.)

boof. :becky:

so true. very funny.

however unfortunate it may be.

3 chunks waaay too much in a kettle.

put in 1 see how it smokes, put in another if the the blue smoke goes away before 2 hours.

i can't say about timing, i don't cook whole spares.

It really depends on the actual size of the chunks you actually have. If they are 1" square you will need more than one. I have squared off pecan "chunks" that are tiny.

Back