New smoker break-in BAAAD Taste

Tuff Dawg

Reaction score
I've bulit a new insulated smoker and burned it in. Temp got above 500 degrees for several hours. Nothing split or broke but, at times, the smoke from the chimney would be brownish yellow and it went away pretty quickly. The next day I cleaned the unit with soap and water then rubbed it down with lard and brought it up to 300 for 5 hours. everything looked and smelled fine. Today I brought the cooker up to 250 and put chicken thighs in and cooked for a couple hours. The taste was BITTER.

Notes:
Started with 1 chute of kingsford charcoal, when temp got to 200 I put in 1 stick of year old pecan and 2 sticks of 6 month old maple then put in the chicken and brought up tp 275 roughly. at one time I thought I saw the brownish yellow smoke again.

The smoker has 1.2 inch 1200 degee rockwool insulation all around and the fire box has 2000 degree ceramic insulation.

Thoughts:
I wonder if I did not seal the firebox tight enough and the heat/fire got to any of the insulation, it would cause the smoke and bitterness.

If I eat the bitter meat would it hurt me?

Any thoughts on this subject? I am "bitterly" watching for any comments.

I am also hoping all the money, time and effort wasn't wasted.

Did you let the wood catch on fire and get a thin blue smoke before putting the chicken on the smoker? The wood may not have been burning cleanly when you put the chicken on.

I wouldn't expect rockwool or ceramic insulation to burn at 500F. If you missed getting the unit sealed up enough, I would think you could find the leak in the chamber. I would probably not eat the bitter meat just out of a sense of not wanting to eat something bad.

I would suggest giving it another test burn, without meat, and let it run for a while, checking to see if a small hot fire will get you to a clean fire over time.

I go for the wood/ blue smoke idea. Where did you get the ceramic insulation?

Sounds like creosote build up on the meat caused by a poor burning fire.

Poofy white smoke = bad

Thin blue to invisible smoke = good.

I've had that issue with bitter taste and found it was the wood, basically just too much at once. I've also had it happen more with hard woods than fruit woods.

As I post this I removed all the wood put in more chicken with charcoal only. I also cut the side to check on the insulation and it is in great shape. We will all know in a couple hours how it tastes (at least I will :wink:).

Cooked with charcoal only and the bitterness gone. Now I have to re-weld cutout and patch up holes on the inside but I believe after some 2 weeks practice I'll be ready for the Winder, Ga- Lake Oconee - and Cleveland KCBS cooks.

Back