Shorter slicer knife, any recommendations?

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Yoeri
I have a 12" F-Dick slicer, the one below but am looking for something short like 8". Haven't found one but know they exist. Any recommendations?

n121184.jpg

That style slicer is designed for long pulls that wouldn’t work with an 8” version.

Tell us why you want an 8” knife and what you will use it for, and we can better suggest a style to meet your needs.

Most chefs knives are 8-10 inches so you could start there but its not going to be a true slicing knife, more of an all purpose knife.

That style slicer is designed for long pulls that wouldn’t work with an 8” version.

Tell us why you want an 8” knife and what you will use it for, and we can better suggest a style to meet your needs.

The one I have works well for brisket but is rather big for doing ribs. Mainly, I want a smaller one because this one doesn't fit the nice leather knife bag I got for Christmas and that I take with me when I'm cooking on location. 8" or perhaps 10" would fit fine and still be plenty for cutting most stuff.

Most chefs knives are 8-10 inches so you could start there but its not going to be a true slicing knife, more of an all purpose knife.

I've used a chefs knife and it's ok for ribs but not as good for other stuff.
I prefer using this type of slicer.

I do everything with an 8” Chef Knife, 4” Paring Knife, and an 8.5” Flexible Fillet Knife. The Fillet Knife is excellent as a slicer. It does perfect brisket slices with one pull stroke; ribs also.

a2DuqoJ.jpg

Compared to my 14" slicer.... you already have a short slicer. :mrgreen: But I would probably have to custom order a knife roll if I wanted to pack my slicer around.

Victorinox makes a 10" slicer, but longer is always better, an 8" model might defeat the purpose. Other than a Kershaw Blade Trader kit I keep in my backpack.... my universal traveling knives are fillet knives that I keep scary sharp. I do like bschoen's idea of cutting a few inches off your knife and re-profiling the end, I've modified a few NSF paring knives for membrane use, by rounding off the tip and killing the cutting edge.

pZc9r0o.jpg

Back