:biggrin:Good Turkey:biggrin:

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Smoked a 21# turkey yesterday on the UDS. For the injection I boiled the giblets sans liver of course with some garlic, onion, and celery. I used a cup of this liquid along with a cup of dry vermouth and a stick of butter. I placed the turkey on a V roast wrack and placed that inside a large aluminum pan to catch the drippings. The turkey was seasoned with Dublin's All Purpose Rub, Alden Spice Mill's Pork and Poultry Seasoning, Garlic & Rosemary, and fresh ground black pepper. The UDS was fueled with K and two big chunks each of Mullbery and Apple wood. Temps maintained were in the 240-260 throughout the 7 hour cook. I removed the turkey when the thigh reached 180 and let it rest for 30 minutes before carving. This will be the way I cook turkeys from here on out. I've never had a turkey, espescially a big one like that, be so tastey, moist and tender. Our 4 year old granddaughter who is a very picky eater took one bite, looked up with a big smile and said, "this is good Nono". This from a wisp of peanut who normally won't eat anything unless it's Raviolios!:biggrin:

No pics? Didn't happen.
During the holidays I smoked one and fried one. I put the smoked one in hot oil for 5-7 minutes and It was the first to disappear. So what do you think of UDS?

Sounds good Neil. I haven't smoked a Turkey in a long time.
I guess I'm going to have to put one on my things to smoke list.

Sounds great Neil!

Was it a fresh or frozen turkey? Around here our Spartan stores are known to have fresh Amish raised turkeys. Bit pricey but they are really good quality birds.

SOUNDS real nice Neil! Or should I say READS real nice.

Nothing like a turkey on the drum!! THe only way to fly!

No pics? Didn't happen.
During the holidays I smoked one and fried one. I put the smoked one in hot oil for 5-7 minutes and It was the first to disappear. So what do you think of UDS?

I love my drum. Picked up two more food grade drums on Friday thanks to the heads up from Michiana Mark. As far as pics go, I have a history of trying to post pics that I'm not real proud of. Just ask any of the old timers here on the site.:biggrin: That and it's been so long that I've successfuly posted a pic, I forgot how to!:oops:

Sounds great Neil!

Was it a fresh or frozen turkey? Around here our Spartan stores are known to have fresh Amish raised turkeys. Bit pricey but they are really good quality birds.

Picked it up at Sam's club after the holidays for $.49/lb., actually picked up three 20+#'ers and put them in the freezer. Down to one turkey now.

Back