• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My opinion on pellet cookers

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Easy punch of a button simplicity
Minuscule learning curve
Clean smoke
Small cooker-frequent smaller cooks-minimal leftovers (amen)

Today I had zero plans to cook. Bride dragged me to Sam’s where they’d just stocked their pork butts. I perused the butt selection. Struck gold. A 4.3something# bone in Boston Butt.

Came home- filled pellet box with B&B hickory and punched a button. Rubbed butt with 407BBQ Rub. Really good rub lots of cracked black pepper.

Wrapped at 3.5 hours temps were 179-187

Last edited:
My nickname for pellet poopers is either "smokey microwave" or "smokey crock pot". To borrow a quote from the Ronco Showtime rotisserie oven, (yes, I have one) it's a true set it and forget it situation.

~Cheers

I concur. The pellet grill really takes the effort out of smoking. It’s nice to only have to worry about prepping meat and not tending to a fire.

Some day I will have a stickburner though, when I have more time to sit and watch it

I would feel better about pellet smoker if the pellets were actually what is listed on the bag and not mystery wood and alder flavored with oils. The pellet manufacturers all seem shady and dishonest.

Why cant they just make a bag of oak pellets actually made of oak? Texas is filled with mesquite and oak, but B&B still uses flavored mystery wood. I don't know if it's a price point they are trying to meet or what.

I would feel better about pellet smoker if the pellets were actually what is listed on the bag and not mystery wood and alder flavored with oils. The pellet manufacturers all seem shady and dishonest.

Why cant they just make a bag of oak pellets actually made of oak? Texas is filled with mesquite and oak, but B&B still uses flavored mystery wood. I don't know if it's a price point they are trying to meet or what.

I had not heard that about B&B. Source? I don't doubt you, but being the internet...

Try Tractor supply. They carry oak pellets for heating stoves at about half the price of others. They are pure oak.

Unless something has changed, B&B is private labeled BBQers Delight product. And, again, unless something has changed the product is all natural, blending flavor woods with Oak, and in the case of Oak pellets they are 100% Oak.

If there is information to the contrary I just wanted to check out the source for myself.

Unless something has changed, B&B is private labeled BBQers Delight product. And, again, unless something has changed the product is all natural, blending flavor woods with Oak, and in the case of Oak pellets they are 100% Oak.

If there is information to the contrary I just wanted to check out the source for myself.

Agree. This is my understanding as well.

100% satisfied with B&B. While new to Pellets, I’m probably 30-40 cooks in. Maybe 50. B&B Burns great, low ash excellent aroma, clean smoke and clean cook.

My nickname for pellet poopers is either "smokey microwave" or "smokey crock pot". To borrow a quote from the Ronco Showtime rotisserie oven, (yes, I have one) it's a true set it and forget it situation.

~Cheers

I love YouTube/PBS etc bbq Series videos etc. generations of cooks lighting fires shoveling coals whole hog etc etc. pits-offsets-steel and cinderblocks. Bricks and rods. Leather aprons and steel toed redwings.

But I can’t watch bbq shows featuring pellets. It just doesn’t hold my interest like a fire weathered pitmaster making magic smoke.

It does not say "100% Oak". It says "Premium oak mixed with flavorwood" and says at the bottom "flavored wood pellets".

Flavor wood = Oil flavored alder.

I would say its just a handful of oak with mostly oil flavored alder.

Not sure why they cant make it 100% oak. Ii think they are just trying to meet a price point and using junk wood with flavoring keeps costs down.

28swpqc.png

Pretty broad brush you’re using there, however Lumber Jack Pellets use 100% wood with their blends.

Site link

“Don’t get confused
When we say we de-bark the red oak base material in our blends, we do this for a very specific reason. Since the smoke flavor you’re looking for and expecting is in the bark, we leave the bark on the primary wood but remove the bark from the oak wood when we produce our blends. We do this so the full rich flavor of the primary wood comes through, such as Hickory in the Hickory blend or Apple in the Apple blend. This allows us to have the strongest flavor in our blends! Blends also have lower ash content when burned since they have less bark than our 100% varieties, which are not de-barked and therefore produce a more powerful and intense flavor.”

There are others out there but I can vouch for LJ.......and this company https://cookinpellets.com/shop/

Last edited:
Back