New (to me) PBC and I love this place

GVDub

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This last Sunday, as my intro to Brethren Bashes and related items, my wife and I went to gtr’s annual Labor Day hog roast and social soirée. Had a blast, and it was great to meet Greg and Marty (campdude), see his amazing collection of cookers at work, and eat some amazing food.

I was talking with Greg about my plans to pick up a PBC, and, the long and short of it is that he passed along to me the well-seasoned, first-generation, powder-coat PBC that had recently been passed along to him. That’s just amazingly generous and one of the reasons this seems to be a special place in the midst of the general hideousness the web can be. The whole “pay it forward” thing is a concept I’ve always loved, and this just adds to the things I owe folks for that fit into that category. So, when it’s time for me to upgrade or something, this will pass along to someone who can use it.

So, this weekend will be my first PBC cook, and I’m figuring a chicken or two since, a) they seem to be something the PBC does really well, and, b) I did a weeks worth of ribs a week and a half ago, did pork loins for the coming week yesterday, and it’s time to vary the rotation with some bird. I need to pick up some KBB, since all I have around is lump, and I want to do things “by the book” at least the first couple of times, just to learn the cooker and start to dial things in.

I’ve read through all 611 pages of the PBC Appreciation thread <phew>, and I think I know what I’m doing, but I’m sure there will be some surprises along the way. Some of which will probably be things I’ll laugh at later.

How cool! Greg is a good guy, but don't tell him that I said that :becky:

The PBC is very easy to use, by design, so I think your learning curve will be short. My favorite thing to cook in the PBC is chicken halves. They come out better than any other cooker!

Greg is one heck of a Brethren, we’ll pretty much all attest to that!!!

You can run lump in your PBC with great results.

gtr is what the secretary called Ferris Bueller “ A Righteous Dude”......

Most definitely excellent folk. Plus, knowing another drummer never hurts, since much of my music career has been defined by looking for the next one.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Looking forward to seeing what comes off that PBC! Gotta mention that particular cooker came to me from Mike Twangzer - another Brethren, guitar player, and yup, cool dude.

Killer meeting you and yer bride this weekend, G, and hopefully we'll be seeing a lot more of y'all!

Welcome to the Brethren (sorry I missed this one - maybe the next SoCal GTG)!

Greg - that is incredibly kind and generous! Wow!

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Great to hear someone paying it forward! I gave away my WSM18 this weekend to a friend starting out on his bbq journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brethren Standard.

This is among the sort of things that make this place truly amazing.

I totally agree Marc, this is a pretty great place for sure. The acts of generosity are pretty epic. Glad to a be a part of this site.

gtr is what the secretary called Ferris Bueller “ A Righteous Dude”......
Pardon me but someone's got to say it:

Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend
Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again
When the demon is at your door
In the morning it won't be there no more
Any major dude will tell you

Awesome! The PBC Rules. I found one for sale locally on Facebook marketplace and it was the best $100 I’ve spent. I love it. Everything I cook turns out amazing!

Back