iGrill2 Connectivity

jbounds286

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So i got my iGrill2 today via the fedex guy....i have to say i was worried at first about the connectivity of this unit being bluetooth and people saying how bluetooth has issues with walls and thats why they went for the maverick...well....that is incorrect.

I hooked up the iGrill2 in the backyard...went inside...still connected...went to the front of the house..still connected...went to the front yard...still connected...halfway across the street...still connected...and then it lost connection.

So yea, for those of you who are worried about signal loss...dont be...2 exterior walls a few interior walls and half way across the street with no loss of signal....oh and the 4 probe capability thing is def better than 2. so id give this one a thumbs up!

oh and the fact that all the probes(i have the 2 that come with it and the extra ambient temp probe) snap together for easy storage so you dont lose them is a nice pro

I am using my Samsung Galaxy S 3 running android 4.3

Last edited:
What were you connected to (phone make/model/BT protocol of device)? Receiving device is a big factor in this equation, also.

I have one and I second that... I had it for 5 months now and have not experience any issues.

My mini works great throughout the house. Whether on the grill in the backyard or the smoker in the driveway.

Hmmm mine doesn't work 10 ft away with only a window in between on my iPhone 4s. Wonder why????? What happens when your phone goes to sleep and you turn back on are you still connected or do your have to reconnect at the device?

Hmmm mine doesn't work 10 ft away with only a window in between on my iPhone 4s. Wonder why????? What happens when your phone goes to sleep and you turn back on are you still connected or do your have to reconnect at the device?

It could be that window. My Maverick stopped working inside out house when we put in new windows with low-E glass. The low-E glass has a metallic film between the panes and that blocks the signal.

unfortunately my Maverick works in the house in the same area that igrill2 does not. I'm going to try some experimenting and see what's up. I really like the unit but will be very disappointed if it doesn't actually work remotely. Thanks for the observation though.

My iGrill went in the trash about three months after I bought it, could not get it to sync 10 feet from the smoker. If I remember right the support line was only open 9-5 weekdays. So if you have a problem after 5 or on the weekends.....guess what...yup! Your screwed. iGrill is not a apple product. Got me once won't get me twice.

If you compared the two side by side like I did you would be surprised at what a pos that igrill is

For the people asking what phone he is using.....I'd guess a Samsung Galaxy SIII with android 4.3 :)
That was edited about an hour after the original post with the inquiries being posted between the original post and the edit...

My iGrill went in the trash about three months after I bought it, could not get it to sync 10 feet from the smoker. If I remember right the support line was only open 9-5 weekdays. So if you have a problem after 5 or on the weekends.....guess what...yup! Your screwed. iGrill is not a apple product. Got me once won't get me twice.

you probably broke it lol....and thank god its not an apple product...apple makes ****

I switched to the igrill2 after running a maverick for many years. It did not work so well for me. Would not stay connected 50 ft away. I just went back to the maverick and the igrill2 is going in the trash. I'm glad yours worked better than mine.

Just a couple observations: I've had the original iGrill since they came out, couple years I think and from day one it has worked through walls & windows within about 50 ft or open air about 75 ft to either my iPhone 4S or my iPad (only one at a time). No problems with probes, but I do take care of them and they have had the silicone & heat shrink tubing mods. At least for my unit once the iGrill app is started and the unit is connected, the app does not allow the iPhone or iPad to sleep or go into ower savings mode and it will sap the battery pretty quick. That means I usually use the iPad and keep it plugged in.

With some folks having bad experiences and some of us having good luck, I'm curious is it really depends on the receiving device????? When the first came out they were Apple OS only, then they developed an Android app later and I seem to recall a lot of complaints on the Android app when it first came out. Sounds like the might have gotten that all straightened out.

For me it has worked as advertised and I would get another. For all you unlucky farkers, quit throwing them in the trash, send them to me:becky:

With some folks having bad experiences and some of us having good luck, I'm curious is it really depends on the receiving device????? When the first came out they were Apple OS only, then they developed an Android app later and I seem to recall a lot of complaints on the Android app when it first came out. Sounds like the might have gotten that all straightened out.

Yep... That's why I asked what device jbounds was using. Even the model from a specific manufacturer can make a difference with changing BT specs. Also, the environment makes a difference. My old Maverick was great until we put in new windows, and now it won't work inside the house.

I specifically bought the iGrill2 to use at competitions, and it works great in that environment. I haven't tested it around the house, but I will soon.

I did a quick experiment last night inspired by jbounds lol. I connected to the igrill2 in my sunroom and walked into my den which is around the corner and diagonal with 2 walls between at about 15', (but doors were open in both rooms) lost connectivity. Reconnected and went up to my 2nd floor, again 2 walls between and about 30' as the crow flies between them, lost connectivity. I then removed the protective case around my phone repeated experiment and it stayed connected in both places. I have not tried any outside experiments yet but I'm getting a bit more optimistic. Also my phone does go to sleep while running the app and when I wake it up it is still connected. I have the iphone 4s.

So anecdotally at least, it appears that my protective case is attenuating the signal and causing discontinuity. I'll let you know how the outside experiment goes.

I asked Santa for one last night. Found it as a set with 3 probes and a grill temp probe for $159. As soon as I test it I will let everyone know what I learned.

Back