1st time hammy baby backs

Dakaty

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've read about them before but today was the first time for me. I cooked 2 racks of Hormel baby backs that had been injected with "up to 12% of a patented solution..." They really tasted like ham.

I always use Grub Rub that is not overly salty. I cooked them like I always do 225 degrees over RO Lump and pecan wood for 5 hours. The only thing I did different was to use Italian dressing as a binder in addition to the worchester sauce.

Could I have done something wrong or is that just the way these things turn out?

I guess I'll be reading the labels and passing on the injected ribs from now on... and I may just stay with the spares.

Well lets see... They've been enhanced with embalming fluid or something, and they're made out of the same thing ham is.........:biggrin:

Was this your first time cooking Baby Backs or just your first experience with the "enhanced" ribs?

I've never noticed the enhanced ribs tasting any different than their "dry" counterparts except the extra bit of salt.

Good luck with finding unenhanced pork products. Most of what's cry-o-vac'd is enhanced. The fresh, dry stuff is hard to find and pricey when you do.

KC

I must have had enhanced ribs before because all (spares and BBs) have been cry o vac'd. I just haven't noticed this strong of a ham flavor before.

I don't believe Sam's club cryovac'ed BB's are enhanced. I believe it has to say so if it is (salt free diets being warned). These do not.

They were kind of sneaky at first slipping enhanced pork into the meat case with names like "Moist-N-Tender" and "Flavorful". But now I think that enough customers have bitched. I see a lot of pork labeled "Fresh Pork". Don't know about other packers in Cryo, but Excel brand are not juiced.

Yep, all the ribs I've seen at Sam's are plain ole un-enhanced ribbies and cryorvac-ed. But all the one's in Wally World's I've seen Are enhanced and also cryovac-ed The grocery stores 'round here are kinda hit and miss. Just be careful out there.

I've got one grocery chain that has unenhanced pork and chicken. The others are pumped. I try to limit salt if possible, so I opt for the natural. Of course, I may end up brining, but at least I'm in control of the salt content.

As far as I know IBP and Excel are free of enhancement......I'm not so sure about John Morrell or Farmland. I think all of the Tyson pork I've seen has been enhanced.

For non enhanced Spare ribs, I have had good luck with the local Super Kmart. Like the comments above, you have to read the labels. Buying meat for the pit has forced me to start carrying reading glasses so I can read the labels.

Swifts at Costco are not "enhanced" either. dont understand why they think they need to do the enhancing, when we do it ourselves as soon as it goes in the pit. :)

It also adds artificial weight.

That's the real answer, I gar-un-teee that salt and water aren't $3.99/#, pretty easy to boost the bottom line by 15% with a little salt water.

It seems that what is really enhanced is profitablity. I've read, maybe here, that the "leaning up" of America has resulted in leaner stock and the use of agents that are supposed to enhance the tenderness and taste of the shelf product. I am lucky to have a full service butcher in my town and have no problems acquiring unenhanced/natural pork.

Back