Live Smoke

Stxhunter

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Pork butts are on sale at Tom Thumb for $0.99 per lb so thats what I will be smoking today!

I'm firing up the weber using a different method than previously to see how that goes. I'm also going to try and sit in the 300 degree range instead of 225 to speed things up a little.

Got the coals all lit and temps are quickly rising currently at 260.

attachment.php

I rubbed down my pork butt with the following rub:

1/2 cup brown sugar (8 T)
4 T paprika
1 T blk pepper
1 T sea salt or kosher
1 T chili powder
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
1 tea. cayenne powder

attachment.php

Went ahead and put the butt on the smoker while temps are ramping up

attachment.php

Butts 7-9 hrs, Briskets - 6-8 hrs ....generally 6 hrs on Brisket and 8 hrs on Butts Lately wrapping Brisket in Butcher Paper at 4 hrs and not wrapping Butts ( i do more Picnics really)

Love the heat shield. :thumb: I still have one of those laying around from a failed sale years ago, when the crash first started.

Had a little rain shower, but everything's calmed down now. Temps dropped a good bit, down to 237. Went to go check and the coals are almost gone! Added 12 more, hopefully they will last till the butt hits 195 currently sitting at 178.

attachment.php

Had a hard time transferring it from the grill so it almost fell apart on me!!

Got the sauce and coleslaw all made up while she rests in the cooler

This was my recipe for the sauce:
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
3/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cayenne

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mmmm I can taste it from here. Nice job.

So, does that method of placing the briquettes really make it hotter?

This was the first time I did the briquettes that way, I normally just use the minion method. I was able to keep the temps between 275 and 300 without any issues, even had a few spikes above 300 where I had to close the dampers a bit.

Back