Problem controling low temp on vision pro kamado

slate

Found some matches.
Reaction score
So I smoked my first rack of spare ribs yesterday on my new vision kamado pro. I loaded the firebox with royal oak lump and lit it with a weber parafin cube. I let it burn for about 10 minutes then added the volcanic stone for a diffuser and closed the top vent to a 1 and the bottom vent to a 1. I slowly brought the temp up to 275 (took about an hour)and closed the top and bottom vents to barely open. I put on the ribs and the temp held steady between 270-275 for 2 hours. At the 2 hour point I rotated the ribs because I wanted to see if I had any hot spots. Everything looked good at this point. I came back and hour later and the temp was 350. I opened the kamado and the ribs were done. The ribs turned out a little overdone but the were actually very good. My question is can opening the lid for maybe 30 seconds cause the temp to rise like that? Also after i took the ribs off I closed all the vents down at this point the temp was 350, three hours later and the temp was only down to 250. Is this normal for a kamado grill?

That doesn't sound right to me. I have a steel kamado (bubba keg) and opening the lid for 30 seconds on a low cook won't do that. I would double check for air leaks.

It does take a long time to cool down. 3 hours to go down 100 degrees is possible.

I have a bubba keg and I don't normally have temp spikes like that. I have noticed if the wind picks up, it stokes the fire and increases the temp.
Are you using the stock thermometer that came with your Vision Pro? If so, then your temps could be off. I would invest in a dual probe thermometer that will monitor your dome/grill temp at the grate level. I use a Maverick ET 73. The new version is the ET 732.

If you want to see fire it up let it get a good fire going then throw in dampend chips or chunks let it start to smoke good then close it off
if it leaks your will see were.

I tested my dome thermometer in boiling water and it was Accurate and I was using a maveric on the grate so that's not the problem. I'll try using the soaked wood chips and looking for air leaks.

I quit using RoyalOak cause I noticed on the bag that it says it burns hotter! I have a Imperial Kamado, and every time i used Royal oak I pretty much had that problem. Not now though, I use Kingsford charcoal now and have good even lower temps. Even Kingsford has specific charcoal that burns hotter too.I now stick with kingsford blue and lump wood chunks from Walmart!!!!

Top vent is completely closed looks like it is leaky. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Thanks.

Attachments

• P7190826.jpg
    P7190826.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 95
  • P7190829.jpg
    P7190829.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 93
Back