How many pounds of pork butt should I buy for 100 people?

umyaya

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've never cooked pulled pork for this many people before and normally just buy more than I need. With 100 adults (mixed but mostly men), I'm not sure how much to buy. Any advice would be appreciated.

If your going to lose between 30% & 40% in the cooking process and if you want to have about 1/3 lb serving, if you do the math. 1# for 3 people or 150/3=50 so 50# cooked pork. If your going to lose 1/3 in the cooking process or 25# you would need 75# of raw product. 25 x 3 = 75.

Sorry I did 150 for a few large eaters in the bunch....There will be people who eat double or even triple...

Your yield is typically 50-60%. Most figure about 1/3 - 1/2 pound per person, so you figure about 1 pound uncooked per person (assuming 1/2 pound pp). I usually go on the high side. A lot depends on the sides and how many other dishes are served though.

Working backwards, starting with 100 people divided by 2 = 50 lbs finished product. Then entering 50 for x in the simple formula of ((x +1)π)/2 = raw meat weight. Using this formula, you would start with approximately 80 lbs of raw pork. Plug in the numbers, it works.

Working backwards, starting with 100 people divided by 2 = 50 lbs finished product. Then entering 50 for x in the simple formula of ((x +1)π)/2 = raw meat weight. Using this formula, you would start with approximately 80 lbs of raw pork. Plug in the numbers, it works.

Holy Calculus Batman!!!:twitch:

I've done many parties that size and if you are going to be serving sides, drinks and every thing else, I would get aound 65lbs, or a case of butts. That will give you 8 pork butts, at an average of about 8lbs a piece. This will give you around 40 lbs of cooked product that should serve roughly 120 people at a 1/3 lb per person serving.

Are you really asking BBQ guy's from Arkansas to do Algebra? LOL:oops::twitch::grin:

Last summer I did 8 pork butts for a graduation about 100 people came and there was plenty left over. They handed some out at the end which also paid off for me with a couple other cooks ....

What does the "+1" do? :becky:

Big eaters... I liked the 80# estimate. Somewhere between 65 and 80 is probably right. I HATE to run out, plus I really like leftovers.

Last cook I cooked for 40, all showed up, I presented 6 9.5lb butts, they ate 4 of 'em. Piggy eaters I guess....

I HATE to run out, plus I really like leftovers.

That is the key, it doesn't cost that much more $$ to ensure you don't run out, and it doesn't take any additional time. Leftovers - nothing wrong with that...

Thank you for the help. @idrivefast: Yes, I'm an Ole (so I can do calculus).

If it's a typical crowd with several sides and desserts, I figure 2/3 lb uncooked per person, like CarolinaQue says. I don't cook for crowds much, but it seems like I'm always cooking for 30. 2, 8-9 lb butts is usually plenty with leftovers. 8 butts this size should work for 100.

Thank you for the help. @idrivefast: Yes, I'm an Ole (so I can do calculus).
I graduated 35 years ago and recently found one of my old calculus exams. I looked at my chicken scratchings and wondered, "what the **** is this?" I'm a little rusty on all that advanced math; I just haven't had the need recently to rotate the sine curve from 0-1 around the x-axis and find the volume.:confused:

I use this formula:

10 oz. precooked meat per person x number of people, divided by 16 to get lbs.

100 x 10 = 1000/16=62.5 lbs. Not far off from other estimates, but I'd cook 8 8-9 lb. butts to be sure and have enough for leftovers.

dang yall are complicated?

Is the pork going on a sandwich, or are you going to just serve it on the plate?

I buy 2 lbs of raw butt per person. 100 people = 50#'s of pork when doing sandwiches. Lots of times half the people won't want sandwiches and will just eat straight pork, other half will eat sandwiches. I've yet to run out of pork

if there are alot of sides (like everyone else is bringing a side) i do 1/3# uncooked per person. 10lb butt will feed 30 people....if you are providing a couple of sides, i do 1/2 lb per person. 10lb butt to feed 20.

i've yet to run out and i've yet to have a ridiculous amount left.

Depends on the party too. I did a graduation supper with salad and chips. Did 6 butts, 51lbs raw and there were roughly 175 people there. Ate it all. Should have done 1 more butt.

Back