Todays Experimental Cooks

tortaboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Lots of experiments going on today.....

I've got my first cured pork loin (6 days) getting smoked to 150 in my attempt at Canadian Bacon. Pretty basic cook, but new for me.

I've got 6 pork loins that have been marinading in a canned pineapple juice based marinade for 24 hours. I'm going to smoke them to 140, then wrap them in foil with MORE leftover canned pineapple juice in the foil. Will cook to probe tender around 200 degrees.

Why?

Three reasons:

1. To prove to myself that canned pineapple juice will not make meat mushy.

2. To enhance the flavor of pork loin. Pork loin in itself is kinda boring, so
the more smoke I can get in it (And still keep it juicy), the better as far
as I am concerned.

3. To prove to myself that I can cook pork loin like a brisket, and it will still
have great flavor, texture, and be juicy.

I'll either have plenty of meat for sandwich's over the next few weeks, or I'm gonna be a hungry dude at work this week.

You can eat pork jerky, it is perfectly safe. I suspect the pineapple juice will be fine.

Curious about your pineapple experiment. I have heard that the heat treatment involved in canning deactivates the tenderizing enzyme. Never wanted to risk a piece of pork on the experiment though.

Curious about your pineapple experiment. I have heard that the heat treatment involved in canning deactivates the tenderizing enzyme. Never wanted to risk a piece of pork on the experiment though.

Just looking at the pork as I put it on the smoker makes me think marinading with canned pineapple juice will not be a problem. The texture looks completely normal.

Here's the question in my mind. IF the tenderizing enzyme is neutralized, does that mean the flavor of the pineapple will not saturate the meat?

Looks like you have many things to prove to yourself..................let us know how it turns out!

Bob

I'm going to have to do the results in two parts. The Canadian Bacon was done long ago, rested, sliced, and already in the freezer.

Here is a pic of the Canadian Bacon:

Attachments

• Canadian bacon.jpg
    Canadian bacon.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 236
The Pineapple marinated loins came out great also. They took FOREVER to probe tender (About 6 hours at 275 or so).

I'm horrible with my camera, but I wanted to get a good close up of both the texture, and the outside of the loin.

My wife and I both preferred the flavor of this meat over the traditional way of cooking loin. The sweetness of the pineapple juice was evident. It definitely did not impact the texture of the meat.

Attachments

• pork loin 2.jpg
    pork loin 2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 222
I hope you're not confusing cured Canadian bacon with marinated (pineapple) pork loin.

Those both look great! :clap2:
I can attest that pineapple wont turn the meat mushy. Normally all my pork loins are injected with pineapple and Malibu rum and allowed to marinate overnight. The Malibu gives a nice subtle coconut hint to the flavor of the meat.

Those both look great! :clap2:
I can attest that pineapple wont turn the meat mushy. Normally all my pork loins are injected with pineapple and Malibu rum and allowed to marinate overnight. The Malibu gives a nice subtle coconut hint to the flavor of the meat.

That sounds great.

Back