Any good reason to cook a whole spare as is?

Most butchers are gonna charge up to $1 per lb to cut spare ribs into St. Louis style. I'd rather do it myself and keep the trimmings.
It's getting hard to find spare ribs around here anymore.

I may be an exception, but my eyes roll into the back of my head when I bite into the butter soft cartilage that is removed to make STL. It's the mark of perfection in ribs for me.

They also take the longest to cook, and more skill. The baby back are essentially tender right out of the package, I see spares as the brisket of the pork rib world.

I may be an exception, but my eyes roll into the back of my head when I bite into the butter soft cartilage that is removed to make STL. It's the mark of perfection in ribs for me.

They also take the longest to cook, and more skill. The baby back are essentially tender right out of the package, I see spares as the brisket of the pork rib world.
For me, it's exactly the opposite. Spareribs are like a pork butt.

I remove the membrane, apply the rub, and onto the kettle for 4-5 hours before I need to bother with them. Loin backs, they need to be fussed with, with a narrow window between under done and over done.

No likey loin backs. I will cook them if the family is insistent. I always feel they have to be babied, foiled, sauced and coaxed into being "decent". Ain't go NO time for that.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I have to say, I am a believer of whole spares. I don't have a tone of pics but i at least got pics of the final product, and its a winner.
wholespares01.jpg

wholespares02.jpg

wholespares03.jpg

^^^Nailed it, nice work Candice.
Thanks. I wrapped 2 hours in and pulled them at 4 1/2 hours at a steady 300F, the meat just started pulling away from the bones. Meat still had a nice tooth feel, but gave way. The Fam loved them, but next time i would give the rack another hour wrapped, to me, that would be perfection.

I cook them occasionally and do a little trimming. I usually leave the tips on. Here is some pics of my last spare cook.
UhNMmzKl.jpg

zWNlDVrl.jpg

JOJWkzcl.jpg

I also just trim a little. Not too much though. Just enough to to have extended bones when sliced. Or, If the missus desires some candy, I cut off the tips so that she can grab it right off the smoker when ready...

Spares are the TRUE TEST of a rib cooker.Anyone can cook loin/ baby backs.Spares are different.They require a special touch.If the pit master has that touch,they are phenomenal.

I love all ribs in any form - both cooking them and eating them.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Spares are the TRUE TEST of a rib cooker.Anyone can cook loin/ baby backs.Spares are different.They require a special touch.If the pit master has that touch,they are phenomenal.

I only cook whole spares and they are the most forgiving meat to cook imo.

no need to trim, or remove silverskin.

no need to wrap

no need to sauce.

just add some salt n peppa, before or after cooking, and Enjoy.

I would say pork butts are far more forgiving than ribs of any kind, but to each his own. I am in the camp of trimming spares and cooking the tips along side.

Back