Dry Brisket. Bah Humbug.

E

ewile

I got a 5 lb flat which I decided to do using the high heat method. This was for my family's annual holiday gift giving bonanza which was tonight.
Temps over 300 all the way. We hit 170 internal at the 2.5 hr mark. Foil. I go run a couple of errands and return 45 minutes later. I'm getting a reading of 205 internal. Plateau? We don't need no stinking plateau. 45 minutes in the foil I think,"that can't possibly be enough." 15 minutes later I decide to check for resistance with the probe. This is where I begin to overthink things. There was "some" resistance. Not a lot, but enough to make me feel that the thing wasn't fully done. Long story short I leave the flat on the grill for another full hour in the foil.

5 hours total cooking time and now into a cooler wrapped in towels for 3 hours until we eat. At my parents house I took the brisket out of the foil and got concerned when there were NO juices to be found. I forgot to add liquid when I foiled the brisket at 170. I begin to slice the meat. The appearance was wonderful with a pronounced smoke ring, but alas, the brisket was indeed dry. Not horrible, I ate a good amount and saw that my parents both took seconds but decidedly dry.

I fear that I left that bad boy on too long and my oversight on the liquid in the foil was not good. My mother's turkey was excellent as usual.
I have a feeling that the leftovers will actually be quite good chopped up and reheated on a sandwich with a nice BBQ sauce.

Next time...

I did the same about a month ago. A little to long of a nap when I foiled then coolered. My sister in law hates brisket and loved it, so I think that means it sucked.

Did you temp check or probe test after the final hour when you pulled it ?

Adding some liquid in the foil at 170, may have helped a bit, but I don' think that would have been the biggest factor of preventing it from dryiing out.

Good part is they took second helpings. Go get 'em next time.

The temp was well above 200 when I took the brisket off. I had a lot of difficulty using the probe test to see if it was done. This was only my 3rd brisket so I had little sense of what it should feel like.

Glad I looked at this, I am going high heat tomorrow for the 1st time. Note to self, do not take a nap.

I've done a few high temp briskets and have had great results. I think a small flat like that may not be the best choice for high temp. Also, did you inject it at all? Whenever I cook briskets or butts at higher temps i inject with something (beef broth, apple juice, whatever) to give the meat more moisture to start out with.

sounds about right.

Now I'm looking for suggestions as to how to reheat the leftovers to create shredded brisket sandwiches with a commercial BBQ sauce like Sweet Baby Rays. In the oven? On top of the stove in a skillet?

I think that the "resistance test" might produce different results when brisket is done high heat vs regular heat. That may have created the impression that it wasn't done enough, causing an over-cook and dry-out. Just a theory.

sounds about right.

Now I'm looking for suggestions as to how to reheat the leftovers to create shredded brisket sandwiches with a commercial BBQ sauce like Sweet Baby Rays. In the oven? On top of the stove in a skillet?

Do you have a Crock Pot? Chop the brisket and pour on some sauce and let it heat in the Crock pot on high until hot and then on low to stay hot.

It not, you could put it in a covered casserole in the oven but watch it so it doesn't get overcooked.

Back