[FONT=&quot]I ordered the new PBC turkey hanger accessory and FedEx should be dropping it off tomorrow! Since this is my first turkey I'm smoking a 12-ish pound one this weekend to make sure everything goes off without a hitch on Thanksgiving Day. I plan to treat it similar to to how i do whole chickens. I'm going to rub with olive oil and hit it with some Adkins Southwest BBQ dry rub. Then I'm going to inject the breasts with some Tony Chachere's Creole Butter Marinade. I may throw some fresh aromatics and an onion in the cavity...not sure on that part yet. I'm open to suggestions. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

How many cooking hours can you get out of a single load of coals in the PBC? Enough hours for a 14-lb packer brisket?

How many cooking hours can you get out of a single load of coals in the PBC? Enough hours for a 14-lb packer brisket?

Easily enough! You'll get 8.5-10 hours from a full load. But you'll notice that food cooks a little faster than other cookers for some reason (yes even at the same temps). Also if you are not monitoring the temperature of the PBC it'll run somewhere between 265-325° based on the vent cap setting in the instructions. I monitor temps, so set it up to run at a 275° target temp. At my vent cap setting and my lighting procedure I will consistently run between 265-285°.

Not really new to the site but never posted here before. I've been using my 22.5" Smoke E-Z with my BBQ Guru for several years with the provided hanging rack to cook all kinds of things much like the PBC which I discovered on this site. Since my setup mimics the PBC, it's been interesting reading all the accolades posted here and viewing the extensive YouTube videos. I've actually learned a lot. I realized a long time ago that hanging meat over the coals was the way to go, but the PBC has taken it to a whole new level. I thought I would post today because searching for any new videos on the PBC, I ran across this link: www.barrelhousecooker.com. Just wondered if anyone else has seen it. Seems to have just been introduced today.

Not really new to the site but never posted here before. I've been using my 22.5" Smoke E-Z with my BBQ Guru for several years with the provided hanging rack to cook all kinds of things much like the PBC which I discovered on this site. Since my setup mimics the PBC, it's been interesting reading all the accolades posted here and viewing the extensive YouTube videos. I've actually learned a lot. I realized a long time ago that hanging meat over the coals was the way to go, but the PBC has taken it to a whole new level. I thought I would post today because searching for any new videos on the PBC, I ran across this link: www.barrelhousecooker.com. Just wondered if anyone else has seen it. Seems to have just been introduced today.

Glad you are enjoying the thread. There's lots of good info for PBC owners as well as folks with setups like yours! :thumb:

That's the first I've seen of the barrel house cooker. It looks smaller in diameter than the PBC. Maybe a little taller though. Some people may like it as it has a thermometer and the bottom vent looks like it's adjustable but I doubt very seriously it cooks as good as the PBC. Plus it's $100 more. I won't be buying one that's for sure.

Interesting. Thanks for posting. Looks like a 20 gallon or so drum. Regular price is $499 with current price of $399, so $299 for PBC looks better all the time..

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks for posting. Looks like a 20 gallon or so drum. Regular price is $499 with current price of $399, so $299 for PBC is big advantage.
I just wanna know how many chicken quarters each can cook.

All,

I just bought a paker brisket which is 21lbs. I'm going to trim it a bit and I assume it's going to loose a pound or two, but still, it's big.

How do you recommend I go about it in the PBC? I want it to rest in the cooler an hour at least, and I will do the crutch thing. Any idea how long it should take?

Thanks,

Joss

All,

I just bought a paker brisket which is 21lbs. I'm going to trim it a bit and I assume it's going to loose a pound or two, but still, it's big.

How do you recommend I go about it in the PBC? I want it to rest in the cooler an hour at least, and I will do the crutch thing. Any idea how long it should take?

Thanks,

Joss

I would hook it from both ends, flat and point. Or separate point from flat. I'd prefer it cooked whole so hook from both ends and try to somehow position it hanging sideways.

All,

Thanks,

Joss

Man that's a BIG brisket! I'm not sure it'll hang without hitting the coal bed honestly. That's the first thing I'd check. Even if it doesn't hit the coals, I don't know if you will get long enough cook time from one load of coals. A brisket that size would probably need at least 12 hours in the PBC. You'll only get about 9-10 hours from one load of coals.
Your best bet may be to separate the point from the flat and hang them both. If you do that I bet you'll be done in 7-8 hours before putting it in the cooler.

Man that's a BIG brisket! I'm not sure it'll hang without hitting the coal bed honestly. That's the first thing I'd check. Even if it doesn't hit the coals, I don't know if you will get long enough cook time from one load of coals. A brisket that size would probably need at least 12 hours in the PBC. You'll only get about 9-10 hours from one load of coals.
Your best bet may be to separate the point from the flat and hang them both. If you do that I bet you'll be done in 7-8 hours before putting it in the cooler.

I think it's doable if you hang he hangs the brisket on its side hooked at either end Andrew. I would definitely test fit to get an idea .As for the fuel, if you pack a full, tight basket you should be fine assuming part of the cook will be wrapped though wrapping it may be a biatch.

Or try to roll it on the grate along the barrel wall like they roll ribs on its side. Hopefully the the width of the brisket will allow it but then the rods will be in the way I'm thinking. I'd say do a "mock up" to get in idea.

I think it's doable if you hang he hangs the brisket on its side hooked at either end Andrew. I would definitely test fit to get an idea .As for the fuel, if you pack a full tight basket you should be fine assuming part of the cook will be wrapped though wrapping it may be a biatch.

Or try to roll it on the grate along the barrel wall like they roll ribs on its side. Hopefully the the width of the brisket will allow it but then the rods will be in the way I'm thinking. I'd say do a "mock up" to get in idea.

Yeah I didn't see your post until after I posted mine. I like the idea of hanging both ends as well. So you think he'll get enough cook time from one basket of coals?

Oh wait! What he needs is the hinged grate. Then he can lay the heavier point on the grate and let the flat hang over the edge.....lol! :thumb:

Yeah I didn't see your post until after I posted mine. I like the idea of hanging both ends as well. So you think he'll get enough cook time from one basket of coals?

Oh wait! What he needs is the hinged grate. Then he can lay the heavier point on the grate and let the flat hang over the edge.....lol! :thumb:

:thumb:

Lol, There you go. I don't know if Jdelage wants to hold off the cook until he gets the hinged grate. :-D

I'm pretty certain he'll be fine using a tightly packed basket of briqs coming up the height of the handle. Def not lump. I mention lump because as you know I use lump depending the cook. I've gotten 9.5 hours out of a tightly packed basket. There was still "warming" heat in there for another hour+ after the cook.

PS makes me want to go find a huge packer and try it.:heh:

Lol, There you go. I don't know if Jdelage wants to hold off the cook until he gets the hinged grate. :-D

I'm pretty certain he'll be fine using a tightly packed basket of briqs coming up the height of the handle. Def not lump. I mention lump because as you know I use lump depending the cook. I've gotten 9.5 hours out of a tightly packed basket. There was still "warming" heat in there for another hour+ after the cook.

Great idea and be sure to pay some pics.

Do it! do it! Do it! :becky:

I'm gonna have to try lump on a cook. I've mixed it in but never just lump. .

Do it! do it! Do it! :becky:

I'm gonna have to try lump on a cook. I've mixed it in but never just lump. .

You guys sure are enablers. :becky: Not that I mind. Ok, here is the deal, all the packers I get are around 12-14lbs around here and I've seen an occasional 17lb ones but that's once in a great while. If or when I find it, you guys have a deal. :thumb:

To sum it up for JDelage,

Either hang it sideways hooked on both ends

OR

Just lay it on the grate flat. Should fit fine after it's trimmed down a little.

AND

Pack a tight and full basket up coals filled up to the height of the handle

Good luck and keep us posted.

Is there any problem replenishing the bricks during the cook? I.e., topping off the basket with fresh bricks while the fire is still going?

Is there any problem replenishing the bricks during the cook? I.e., topping off the basket with fresh bricks while the fire is still going?

I don't see a problem with it......it's just not a common practice among PBC owners. You could test it out for us though. :thumb:

Back