Group Discussion #5 Cutting boards

Sledneck said:
I think i have a piece of butcher block left over from a job that is
2'-0" X 7-0" X 1 1/2" thick. If anybody round here wants a piece cut off of it let me know the size. Its brand new in the box

Hey Steve if your offer still stands and there is enough I would love a piece. Say 2X2

bbqbull said:
I use strictly plastic cutting boards. I dont use them for prep unless trimming fat or pulling membranes off ribs. Then into hot soapy water, then bleach water rinse. When prepping done/cooked food, One board for each item. Then hot soapy water and bleach rinse again.

Same here. HDPE wash, rinse, sanitize. I work for a company that was selling them and when we closed out the line, I bought 20 -24x24" boards. They are yellow and blue for HAACP designation (think it's poultry and fish?) I'm set for the next 10 years! Woody

We typically use the wood. Much better on the knives. But...for chicken we use the white plastic ones. But only while the surface stays smooth enough to clean properly. Once they are chopped up we toss them.

GIRLYQUE said:
We typically use the wood. Much better on the knives. But...for chicken we use the white plastic ones. But only while the surface stays smooth enough to clean properly. Once they are chopped up we toss them.

Never thought of this before but why not sand them down a little with a Makita hand-held finisher?

The plastic boards, when "Chopped up" Can be sanded quite a few times in order to get the surface smooth again. I do mine every so often. When you work with them day after day, sometimes it's easy not to notice that they are indeed due for a resurfacing and a good bleaching.

WE use all kinds different stuff for different things. WE label the white sani-safe ones with the designation on the edge. Since they are smooth on both sides, one is labeled "moo" with black arrow, "oink" with red arrow, and then another board is "cluck". I like the smooth and "blood trough" models depending on what you are doing. I use some of that new shelf liner stuff that is non-skid to keep from cutting any digits off of my hands from board slide...very handy in a humidity rich environment, like a contest.

WE have a butcher block made out of Texas Long Left Pine, it is nice for veggies and stuff I don't do a lot of meat as it requires a bit of upkeep and sanding it is a bit of like something you would see on ESPN great outdoors games. I have several other maple boards that travel with us for slicing at turn in time.

On the subject of the plastic boards, we usually toss them once they get cut up. According to the Sani-safe and Vollrath folks that is the best thing to do. I keep a couple in the garage to use as carry platters for hot items they make great trivets for the table. For cleaning them while they are still good I wash them really well and spray with clorox-water and let air dry. Supposedly that kills all the stuff that makes you have to lay on the floor and count the bathroom tiles.

I think the best boards are the one that feel best for you, and don't tear up your good knives.

I use plastic. I've got three that I'm constantly washing so as to minimize the possibility of cross-contaminiation. They've held up pretty well over the years.

On a related note, at work we're experimenting with making signs out of Corian. We ordered a few 2 x 3 cutting boards and are putting vinyl letters on them. It's kinda cool.

cutting boards

We use the giant plastic ones from the restaurant supply houses, Through the years we have had various problems with health departments over the appearence of the boards even though they are cleaned and bleched constantly. We finally sprung for new ones before Harpoon and they sure didn't look new very long! I would not dare to bring wood on the circuit; the health inspectors can be ...shall we say eccentric?

Isn't corian very hard? Does it dull blades quickly?

I noticed that in the brochure for Corian countertops they had a wood cutting board.

We have 3 plastic ones and they have gotten pretty sliced up over the years. Ive been thinking about replacing/upgrading. Never heard of bamboo before. So you guys recommend it?

Also, Ive been wanting a good butcher block table for the kitchen. Anybody know where I can find one. Im thinking small like 3 foot square or there-abouts.

nancee said:
We use the giant plastic ones from the restaurant supply houses, Through the years we have had various problems with health departments over the appearence of the boards even though they are cleaned and bleched constantly. We finally sprung for new ones before Harpoon and they sure didn't look new very long! I would not dare to bring wood on the circuit; the health inspectors can be ...shall we say eccentric?

Interesting that the health inspectors are allowed to be eccentric when everything I have read indicates that wood both has graws and stores less bacteria than plastic and clean better as well. Preference is one thing but the ability to make decisions based on it by professional people who are supposed to keep up with what the rules are is another.? Oh well bureaucracy!

Back