Help- Mold covered grill!

TropicDad

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I went outside to get my Rectec ready to go for tonight's dinner. When I opened the grill I found it completely covered in mold. Not 2 weeks ago this was a clean grill. I have never seen one this bad before.

The big question is, do you farkers think its salvageable? I'm afraid of dangerous molds getting near food.Will a burn off and pressure washing do it? I can't imagine a pressure washer would be good for an ele tronic grill either.

Opinions? My better half would rather me buy a new one and I can't disagree. I definitely need one for Thanksgiving.

Fire her up nice and hot for 3 to 4 hours then scrape all the surfaces with a nylon scraper and wire brush then wipe down with paper towels then spray her down with PAM and reseason for three or fours hours at 220 to 250 working your way up to 275 - 300 for the last hour.

a high heat burn and a good cleaning will do, no need to buy a new grill.

if this is a reoccurring problem try and get some airflow into the cooker when not in use

This just happened to my Big Joe. Hadn't cooked on it in quite a while and the vents were closed up tight. High heat burn and all is right with the world once again.

No need to waste fuel on a 3 hour burn. Just fire it hot till the surface organics are carbonized which if the surfaces are hot enough shouldn't take that long. Once black scrub , wipe, and oil it down as if a new grill and put the heat to better use.

Fire that mother up and fire it up HOT!!!

Nothing wrong with it that can’t be fixed!

giphy.gif

I have had this happen a couple times myself. I actually just went down to the basement garage and cracked the door on mine after reading your post. I took the grates out of my old cooker when this happened and washed them good with dawn dishwashing soap. Then scarped inside cooker with putty knife. Finally did a burn off and it was ready to cook. It’s a pain in the arse though for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I reached out to RecTec on Twitter, my wife wanted their opinion too. They said elbow grease should do it. Consensus wins, burning it down tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies.

When I get mold I spray with vinegar and give it a good scrub & scrape then burn for a couple of hours. Re-season if I need too.

I've had it happen a couple time to my weber kettle, and like everyone said rock a hot one in it. However, I would feel like I'm not fulfilling my brethren duty if I don't take this opportunity to point out that your other half has green lighted you for another cooker. Sometimes we must embrace what seems like a tragedy...and smile inside while we fire and season a new cooker. Just saying....

Mold thrives when moisture, high humidity, grease, food particles and stagnant air all come together. Mold is killed at somewhat low temperatures (like 150°), but a burnout will make scraping and clean-up easier. The Big Green Egg people recommend 450° to 500° for 2 hours, then a thorough cleaning after it cools down. Some people report that a cover can sometimes create conditions where mold can really grow.

I've had it happen a couple time to my weber kettle, and like everyone said rock a hot one in it. However, I would feel like I'm not fulfilling my brethren duty if I don't take this opportunity to point out that your other half has green lighted you for another cooker. Sometimes we must embrace what seems like a tragedy...and smile inside while we fire and season a new cooker. Just saying....

Well my better half still was concerned about it so today we went to a grill store and ordered a GMG Prime Jim Bowie to replace it. :clap2:

At $940 out the door was cheaper than getting another RecTec. It will live in the garage and I'll be better about keeping it clean. Florida weather is hell on everything!

I'll still clean up the RecTec and figure out what to do with it, still works good after 5 years.

I think I'll like that wifi too!

I have had this happen several times - 50/50 Bleach Water for 15 minutes then Rinse. Then Oven Cleaner Or Foaming Cleaner and Rinse Well.......then Fire Up and Run Hot for cpl Hours then spray with Oil as it Cools.......

Back