To inject, or not inject.....that is the question

EricD

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hello fellow Brethren,
Over Christmas I got the Cajun Injector Kit, with a bunch of different rubs and sauces in it. I have never injected meats before, and I'm really not sure if I've even eaten an injected meat. I'm going to give it a shot but wanted to hear your opinions on: 1) what do you guys think about injecting? 2) anything I should know before stabbing? It seems like a no brainer.
2) What are your opinions on the Cajun Injector Sauces?

I just ordered a spitjack magnum and was wondering about some of these things too.

I inject pork butts with a mixture of 2 parts apple juice, one part apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of whatever rub I'm using on the butt.

I've never injected briskets.

I've brined turkeys before smoking but have only injected before deep frying them.

Injecting it a good way to get flavor or moisture into a big piece of meat. Is it necessary? No, but it can help. It's another tool that we have available to us. Try it out and see how you like it.

As always Ron is on it again. After trying it the only thing I inject is poultry now.

I only inject briskets, and with a simple solution of beef broth and a bit of MSG dissolved in it. Then no-wrap cooking til 200ish.

Pork butts? Not a chance, low n slow til 203, no crutch, wrap, etc.

Chicken? Thats a whole n'nother dimension. Injecting birds is just plain fun, but I don't have much experience.

It's all preference, try it and see if u like it. I inject my pork butts and picnics. A lot of people tell me "why inject ur pork butt? U know u don't need it right?" ur right I don't need it but I like to do it so I do. No right or wrong answer to it but since u have one might as well give it a shot and see what u think.

I've been injecting all kinds of stuff ever since a cajun buddy showed me how he injected & deep fried turkey in 1993......

Not everyone likes some of the results, because you will change the core flavor of the meat somewhat, but for a lot of less fatty type things (London broil, pork loin, tenderloins, some tri-tip, various beef roasts, clod, etc. ) it will add the needed moisture, sort of like "replacing" the fat that isn't ordinarily available & the finished piece just ends up better.......

Brisket point w/ phosphate "comp" inject:

3-6-2013Beef068.jpg

Tri-tip, w/ creole butter (I think?) tenderloin, w/ lemon pepper, in the front......

PostWestCoastMeet042.jpg

Turkey, w/ creole butter......

JuicysampTurkey11-11-2013067.jpg

The Cajun Injector stuff is real good, Tony Chachere's is good, & you can use just about anything, if you strain it out so it won't clog the needle....

SmokedChicken2-15-12025.jpg

SmokedChicken2-15-12024.jpg

I save all the bits that get strained out & dump them in guacamole or salsa......

I never used to inject, but recently have started.. I like Chris Lilly's pork injection and Butcher's products mostly. I love to inject turkey's with butter, chicken stock, spices and hot sauce.

Thanks all. I'm cooking this weekend. When I decide what to cook, I'll will inject. I'll let you all know how it goes. (I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics)

I own a Spitjack injector and always inject all of my yardbirds. I make my own brew rather than purchasing off the shelf. As a suggestion, I never poke the needle through the skin go under it. The skin will act as a wetsuit and hold the liquids in. The Spitjack longer needles will allow this as the little plastic freebies will not.
Good luck!

I used to brine, and had good results. Then I started injecting which made the task easier and less clean up. I used Chris Lilly's Injection but found it to be salty to my tastes, I cut back to almost half the amount of salt and it is still good. last year I switched to OakRidge Game Changer Brine as my Injection and have nothing less than great results with it.

I now, always use OakRidge Game Changer Brine as an injection. I Use fruit juice (Peach, Pear, Apple, or White Grape) for added flavors. For every 8 ounces of juice add 1 Tablespoon of OakRidge Game Changer Brine and then inject into the pork. I inject right through the cyro-packaging to save with cleanup, using different angles through the same hole to prevent leaking. I used to rub and let the pork sit overnight, but now I'll rub a few hours before smoking depending upon my time constraints.

When cooking injected pork butts I find the bone begins to wiggle at about 187°, I pull and rest the pork in a cambro/cooler for 3 to 4 hours, and pull the pork just before serving. I find the OakRidge Game Changer Brine keeps the pork exceptionally tender, moist, flavorful, and it pulls in very long strands which is great for sandwiches.

Love to inject especially brisket, pork butt, and chicken. great way to experiment with different flavor profiles-

Great for turkey and chicken. I never inject the sacred brisket.

I think it's a regional thing. I used to know a girl from New England who like to have her Boston Butt rubbed, but nothing more.

I think it's a regional thing. I used to know a girl from New England who like to have her Boston Butt rubbed, but nothing more.

She sounds like a total boar. Seriously though, that didn't read right.

Creole Butter rocks Chicken

Turkey as well. Chicken and turkey is about the only thing that I inject anymore. As BD said above, the Creole butter is excellent on poultry and foul across the board.

Back