• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Planking the Salmon

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
I eat a lot of fish, but sometimes I forget just how much I like it until it is on the plate in front of me. I was cooking for one last night and decided to plank this salmon. Here are some before and after pictures.

DSC01339ab.jpg

dsc01345aLS.jpg

Hi Wayne ... looks terrific!! OTOH ... I did two separate salmon cooks on pieces of red cedar my neighbor gave me ... woodworking guy ... ~ 1" thick. Both cooks produced a strong and not-so-pleasing smoky flavor. I notice your hot fire .. mine was in the BGE ~ 350-375* and the bottom of the planks are a bit charred (soaked for some time prior). So many people really like the planked salmon flavor ... I wonder how mine could be so poor ??

Looks yummy.. I'm going to do planked salmon for a cooking class coming up this spring, I think... it's easy and almost foolproof and always worth eating!

Looks dang good! what kind of seasoning did you use? I have a couple of cedar planks that i've never used. Also have some steelhead in the freezer....might give it a try!
thanks,
Mike

I saw the title and thought, "Maybe this should be in woodpile?"

Looks good.

How hot did you cook that? The fire in the photo looks pretty high.

I need to start makeing more fish. Looks good thirdeye

The last ones we planked ... we used Grey Poupon and Brown Sugar ... Delicious!!!

I use honey, rice wine vinegar, salt, garlic, black pepper, and a little cayenne.
Damit. I think the time is near..............

Looks good Thirdeye, I am not much of a fish eater, esp salmon, but I love smoked salmon!

Tom, I really don't care for the taste of cedar either...that plank was alder, my favorite with salmon. About halfway through the cook, I dropped a small stick of cherry onto the coals. You want the plank to char on the bottom, just not burst into flame. I was going about 400° dome but had a 3" spacer ring in there to raise the grate.

sfisch, Yes there is skin on there. I painted the plank with peanut oil so it would not stick. You never turn the fish.

boatnut, the seasoming was a light coating of my salmon cure applied for only one hour and not rinsed off. Then I added some pepper blend.

1 cup kosher salt
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
½ teaspoon pulverized bay leaf

I like the sound of the seasonings mentioned by Curt and Joe too, especially the rice wine vinegar. That may make a nice dipping sauce with some soy....

Single Fin Smoker said:
What type of rub and plank is that?

Funny, because my wife got me a bunch of planks for christmas, cedar, alder, maple etc.

Did you do it over your gasser or smoker?

Rub is above and the plank was oiled alder. I've done it in a gasser but smoker temps would not be high enough to take advantage of the plank, other than for serving.

Back