A Cook in the Judges Tent, Chelsea, AL 4-21-18

samappleton

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
WE ARE DOING IT AGAIN THIS WEEKEND IN CHELSEA, AL 4-21-18
at the Smokin on the Foothills (BY ONLY)

To be one of the select 4, simply private msg me here to work out the details.

The 1 rule is simple, your team can not be competing in the current contest (Smokin on the Foothills).

You will get to see "behind the judge curtain". You will be assist at the grazing tables as well help with turn-in. You will be able to witness the judging process first hand.
(the grazing table is where all of the contest left overs go - think many different flavor profiles)

Sam and Janet Appleton
KCBS Reps.

Wow, that was a surprise, no takers....
I will post more of this opportunity in the very near future

Last edited:
I'd be willing to guess that there aren't a ton of brethren in the area. And if there are, maybe they are signed up to compete? The sample size of bbq folks that have viewed this specific post is probably pretty small. Plus, I just don't see how this opportunity is any different than someone who is a cook and a CBJ just signing up to judge the contest.

Plus, I just don't see how this opportunity is any different than someone who is a cook and a CBJ just signing up to judge the contest.

You are assuming that everyone that's a cook is a CBJ. That's not the case. I know a lot of cooks that aren't CBJs. I met a couple of cooks that took advantage of this opportunity in Gadsden and nothing but great things to say about their experience.

I agree that there are no takers for this one probably due to the contests going on this weekend.

Wow, that was a surprise, no takers....
I will post more of this opportunity in the very near future

Just curious, is this new opportunity been discussed and endorsed by the KCBS BOD? I hadn't seen anything in the BOD minutes. I personally don't see a huge problem with it except it takes away chances for CBJ's to get signatures towards their master cbj status.
Ed

You are assuming that everyone that's a cook is a CBJ. That's not the case. I know a lot of cooks that aren't CBJs. I met a couple of cooks that took advantage of this opportunity in Gadsden and nothing but great things to say about their experience.

I agree that there are no takers for this one probably due to the contests going on this weekend.

That's a good point. I'm a cook and CBJ and like to judge once a year or so. Thanks for the clarification!

I'd be willing to guess that there aren't a ton of brethren in the area.
Not everyone that reads BBQ-Brethren is a member, here after called lurkers.

And if there are, maybe they are signed up to compete? The sample size of bbq folks that have viewed this specific post is probably pretty small.
Let me guess, Engineer?
Your not eligible if your team is competing (rule #1). This past weekend I had a volunteer that has just retired (never been to a contest) and was curious if judging was for him.
He decided it was.

Plus, I just don't see how this opportunity is any different than someone who is a cook and a CBJ just signing up to judge the contest.
Cost! It is a volunteer position. No classes required.

Here is a chance to see, hear and actually taste what goes on in there, FOR FREE. (one time - this is new rule 2)

Just curious, is this new opportunity been discussed and endorsed by the KCBS BOD? I hadn't seen anything in the BOD minutes. I personally don't see a huge problem with it except it takes away chances for CBJ's to get signatures towards their master cbj status.
Ed

Hello Ed
We have done this for 2 yrs now, its not new.
Why would the BOD need to do anything about Volunteers?
You lost me on this one.
Sam

Not everyone that reads BBQ-Brethren is a member, here after called lurkers.

Let me guess, Engineer?
Your not eligible if your team is competing (rule #1). This past weekend I had a volunteer that has just retired (never been to a contest) and was curious if judging was for him.
He decided it was.

Cost! It is a volunteer position. No classes required.

Here is a chance to see, hear and actually taste what goes on in there, FOR FREE. (one time - this is new rule 2)

Got it. I understood rule #1 already. And no, I'm not an engineer. Glad you are able to offer this opportunity.

Back