Time to Reach Temp in a Med to Large Gravity Fed.?

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
How long is your startup time, to reach temp and stabilize to put meat on in a medium to large Gravity Fed Cabinet Smoker. Which model do you have and how long.? 45 minutes.? 1 hour? 1.5 hours.?

Last edited:
Most definitly going to depend on the weather if un insulated, or if you have an insulated cabinet GF it should be no longer than 40-45 minutes as Kathicooks mentioned.

What are you pondering, Smitty? Fella might ask because he's just curious...or looking to add to his herd.

What are you pondering, Smitty? Fella might ask because he's just curious...or looking to add to his herd.

Might have one in the near future..........a fellar I know said he might could hook me up....:heh:
plus it’s always Good to increase your Smoker/cooker knowledges........

Last edited:
I finally dug in these last two years and did my research, I’m right there with ya! Knowledge is power especially in this playing field

Sneak Peek........

AdULMczl.png

My superior ss1 takes about 45 minutes to an hour going 250-300 for temp. I will also preheat with the weed burner as the coals get going.

My superior ss1 takes about 45 minutes to an hour going 250-300 for temp. I will also preheat with the weed burner as the coals get going.

Does the preheating Help Much? Have you tried it with and without preheating.?

I’ve you use a temp controller the fan size makes a big difference. My Southern Q Limo (quite large) is under an hour for sure with a Pit Bull fan. Recovery is very quick after opening doors too.

Todd

Does the preheating Help Much? Have you tried it with and without preheating.?

It does speed things up and yes I have tried I would say 15 minutes faster at least. Not to mention I am cleaning the gates in the process with the burner. Also I do use a controller as well and have never tried with out.

I’ve you use a temp controller the fan size makes a big difference. My Southern Q Limo (quite large) is under an hour for sure with a Pit Bull fan. Recovery is very quick after opening doors too.

Todd

Agreed, I used to use a 5cfm and then went to a 10cfm and I was happy.

I can have my Stumps Stretch up to 275 in about 30 minutes. I light it with a Texas match then use it to preheat the inside.

T&K small gravity feed?

Nope. A builder who is putting out his first insulated cabinet smoker - Gravity fed. About the size of a TK medium , maybe a lil bigger........I haven't seen it in person yet.......Still in testing/ modding mode. I’m gonna play with it a bit for him and give Feedback. :biggrin1:

Grate size? Spacing? 1" or 2" insulation?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back