• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mexican Beef?

Arlin_MacRae

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK, I was a little astounded the other day when I saw imported mexican beef on a grovery store shelf in Oklahoma.
What gives?

that certainly wouldn't go over very well here in ca.
i'll have to look closer.

The stuff in the Chub roll at HEB is stamped proudly Product of Mexico. Needless to say it don't make it into my wagon. I am lucky I raise my own so....

LOL! Mexico has been importing/exporting beef, pork, fruits, veggies to the US for a long time. I can't tell you how many cattle trucks, etc go back and forth BOTH ways here in the border town. You'd be amazed at what WE send over there. I gots some good friends in Customs. Unless, your area is selling local grown and raised, chances are, it's coming from Mexico or some other place.

Tyson, one of the largest beef suppliers has cattle in mexico.

I think a few others have some type of operations there too. Not just anyone wants to hold a slaughter house job. It's a brutal job. I'll leave it at that. That's how many of those companies keep costs and prices as low as possible.

The stuff in the Chub roll at HEB is stamped proudly Product of Mexico. Needless to say it don't make it into my wagon. I am lucky I raise my own so....

Take a look at where most of our seafood comes from. :shock:

Luckily, the gubment requires the origin to be labeled.

CD

I think a few others have some type of operations there too. Not just anyone wants to hold a slaughter house job. It's a brutal job. I'll leave it at that. That's how many of those companies keep costs and prices as low as possible.

Are the beef raising operations there mostly feed lots? If so, it wouldn't be that much different than beef raised in Texas or Oklahoma -- and slaughtered by mexican laborers.

CD

Who cares as long as it's done according to US quality standards and more importantly(to me), in a humane manner. We all love meat on this forum, and I think we always need to remember where it comes from.

I wouldn't count on humane manner from any large commercial beef slaughter in any country, unless your standards are lower than mine by a fair bit.

I found that we export Mexican food to Mexico, so there is no telling what is going on. And for the most part, Mexican beef is very similar to American beef from the Southwest, climate and water are far more determinate in how cattle are raised than nationality. And price is far more determinate on where the meat is coming from than nationality. It wouldn't surprise me at all, if the drought of that last couple years or so have affected beef availability enough to make Mexican beef more viable in all regions of the country.

Indeed, for the record, i dont have a problem with Mexican beef.

Funny story about a friend who worked in a slaughter house. He worked in one in Cali. years ago, and they go through job rotation so youre not the one pinning the cows all the time. Well he had his spot and liked doing it, so much so they fired him for it. And even funnier (or not) i think he worked for Central Valley Meat.

Fyi, Tyson doesn't own/raise cattle........in US or Mexico. I'm not aware of any beef operations in Mexico. Their beef is the old IBP operations.

OK, I bought three of the thick-cut T-bones from Mexico and cooked them last night. They barely had any marbling to them, but for $3.99/lb I was will to try them.
I salt-brined them for a few hours, rinsed, dried and half-seasoned them with Penzeys Northwoods.
Grilled on the primo at about 450° dome temp, they never took any real color. No nice reds, browns, etc. and I let them go medium instead of my regular MR. They were pale and not real nice to look at.

On the plate they were... Well, I'll say this: it was cheap digestible protein and I won't buy any more. Too bad.

Arlin,
Were they graded??
Sounds like some Select and No-Roll I have tried to cook.

TIM

Back