Like the idea of competition BBQ, but don’t like what it actually is

I shared a similar thought process as the OP after my first few competitions. After thinking about it I came to two conclusions.

1. You are really cooking to a rubric that evolves/changes over time. If you can't swallow that your cooking to a crowd-sourced rubric, competition BBQ is not a good hobby because you will go crazy.

2. The best cooks are awesome cooks that have also cracked the code of this rubric. If you threw these cooks into a contest that had restrictions on sauce, rubs, ingredients, etc they would still rise to the top because of how well/consistent they cook.

Like I said, I like everything about competition style BBQ except how the meat is prepared/judged by today’s standards. Of course I’m not familiar with every circuit out there except for the local ones I’ve visited or the one I participated in. It’s all good though as we can agree to disagree on some of this.

So you made some sweeping generalizations about the world of comp bbq based being in one local comp and seeing a few other local ones and expected this to go how?? :becky:

Not attacking anyone. At all. And I’m glad so many of you can so passionately defend what you do. That is the beauty of BBQ in that it can be done so many different ways. I’m not arguing that. I have charcoal smokers and a stick burner. I cook low and slow, hot and fast, and everything in between. I’ve used commercial rubs/sauces and my own rubs and sauces. I’ve cooked with foil, butcher paper and nothing. And I’ve smoked all kinds of meats (not just the typical ones). And selling your BBQ is completely different than cooking for judges in a sanctioned competition, so I don’t know why that was brought up. If people want to eat sweet or sugary tasting ribs then that is what you sell to make money. :biggrin1: But I don’t think that is the norm in the world of BBQ from pitmasters who sell.

Like I said, I like everything about competition style BBQ except how the meat is prepared/judged by today’s standards. Of course I’m not familiar with every circuit out there except for the local ones I’ve visited or the one I participated in. It’s all good though as we can agree to disagree on some of this.

Good luck guys with your teams this new year and good conversation!

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, no reason not to. But the impression i get is you wont go to a pizza place like Pizza hut or the like because it is not "true" pizza same could be said of tacos at taco bell or the such.

Now thinking in terms of competition, I will use a different analogy. And you may not, but in this analogy you should not watch Nascar or Indy car or most other car racing because they are set up cars according to the rules. Your(again not saying you have this or not just an example) but your 2018 Toyota Camry is no where near as fast and all as those Nascar cars even though in principal they are from same manufacturer. I am sure if someone had the money and the ball$ to try to run a Nascar race against those other cars and they could maintain speed (and have a Nascar license) they would be allowed to, but then when that car gets its a$$ handed to him should he really say anything because thats not how they do stuff.

I hope you get what i am trying to say. Just because you person A, likes something a certain way that does not mean persons B-Z are wrong for liking it different even if they dont necessarily agree on the ways they like it.

My friends, family, coworkers, etc. sure seem to enjoy my leftover competition BBQ.

Maybe the reason you don't like competition bbq is because you can't cook good competition bbq.

+1000

You don't win competitions with just sweet...such a tired comment.

Winners have a balance of flavors. If only sweet won anyone could pour sugar, corn syrup, honey, etc. on everthing(?) and win...obviously doesn't work.

Seems like most people complaining about the taste of winning BBQ are the guys who aren't winning BBQ competitions. Trust me, I love SPOG ribs unwrapped that taste like cracked pepper bacon, but they aren't winning a competition any time soon because anyone can do it and it's a pretty basic flavor. Comp ribs are totally different and MUCH more complex.

speaking on temderness alone, there is a lot larger window of doneness for what can be chopped and put on a sandwich with slaw and enjoyed as a meal in relation to what can stand alone and be judged as is. To me comp BBQ pushes the boundaries of how great BBQ can be. Flavor wise, I know there is a perception that "sweet wins" but in my experiences atleast in the northeast we have done better with savory, balanced "one bite" BBQ focusing more on tenderness.

To the OP. You will fit right in. You are complaining/making excuses about judging/comps and you arent even cooking yet. If you dont like or dont get something, why would you do it? Give us comp cooks thst could figure out how to win, some props. We dont have a magic key that the judges tell us what they want. And Robert is right. Its guys like him that keep me cooking a few contests a year or I would have been gone years ago. And if it doesnt fit your needs, competitive cake making is an alternative

If the "barbecue family" you meet at comps resemble some of the answers and attitude I've seen in this thread, I'm happy to stay home. Lately it seems like there's been an increase in snarky posts from some people who apparently forgot that people are entitled to their own opinion and those opinions are posted her for discussion, not arguments.

I can see the op's confusion.

If comp bbq is the best why do i hear comp cooks say they dont cook comp bbq for themselves?

*Rhetorical question* i in no way support ops position or desire to jump in front of a bullet for him

If the "barbecue family" you meet at comps resemble some of the answers and attitude I've seen in this thread, I'm happy to stay home. Lately it seems like there's been an increase in snarky posts from some people who apparently forgot that people are entitled to their own opinion and those opinions are posted her for discussion, not arguments.
Not sure what else you would expect when OP posts something inflammatory in the comp forum. Every team is different. Some are more social than others. Honestly for us it just depends on the timing and/or my mood lol. We have a little downtime on Saturdays at comps but for the most part it is balls to the wall. That is why I recommend coming out on Friday nights if you want to visit with teams. Guys love talking about their pits and why they cook on whatever brand. Usually pretty laid back. There are plenty of contests in central IL where you can see for yourself. Beardstown would be the closest. Hell, why not cook it?

Not sure what else you would expect when OP posts something inflammatory in the comp forum. Every team is different. Some are more social than others. Honestly for us it just depends on the timing and/or my mood lol. We have a little downtime on Saturdays at comps but for the most part it is balls to the wall. That is why I recommend coming out on Friday nights if you want to visit with teams. Guys love talking about their pits and why they cook on whatever brand. Usually pretty laid back. There are plenty of contests in central IL where you can see for yourself. Beardstown would be the closest. Hell, why not cook it?

I would expect people to understand everyone has different ideas of what they consider good and bad, and try to get that point across without saying such sweet things like "because your barbecue sucks" and other wonderful compassionate examples of respecting opinions and trying to explain what the OP may have missed with his assessment. That may have been my best run-on sentence ever.

Comps aren't and have never been my thing. For me personally I don't care for the KCBS rules and the way things have to be done. It doesn't mean I don't respect the work that goes into competing, it's just not for me. I've actually considered coming along with a team just as a flunkie for the experience without the pressure, but haven't had a chance.

Off topic, I spent the entire day in Springfield yesterday at a weightlifting competition. Talk about specific rules and having to do everything a certain way! :mrgreen:

I can see the op's confusion.

If comp bbq is the best why do i hear comp cooks say they dont cook comp bbq for themselves?

*Rhetorical question* i in no way support ops position or desire to jump in front of a bullet for him

I do cook my competition stuff in my backyard. I think it's good. My goal at a contest is to make the best food I can, period.

Certainly we play within certain confines of what scores and what scores may not be my personal exact preference, but I'm certainly not putting something I don't like in the box.

I also try to mimic my competition recipes in my restaurant as much as time and food cost considerations will let me. People seem to enjoy it.

Off topic, I spent the entire day in Springfield yesterday at a weightlifting competition. Talk about specific rules and having to do everything a certain way! :mrgreen:

We have specific rules too. Just to name a few...

Turnin is 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after. One second late you are DQed.

Foreign object in box, you are DQed.

No bone in Rib, again DQed.

ETC.......

As far as taste, that's 4/7ths of your score and there are very few rules on what the judge expects, except well cooked BBQ scores very good. I guess that would mean bad BBQ sucks.:biggrin1:

We are a friendly crowd amongst ourselves, heck we share good luck shots on Saturday morning and wish each other well. If a young team runs into problems with not scoring well in a category, we help if asked. We know who pays their dues per say.

I do cook my competition stuff in my backyard. I think it's good. My goal at a contest is to make the best food I can, period.

Certainly we play within certain confines of what scores and what scores may not be my personal exact preference, but I'm certainly not putting something I don't like in the box.

I also try to mimic my competition recipes in my restaurant as much as time and food cost considerations will let me. People seem to enjoy it.

Well i was merely repeating something i heard on the internet. That certainly hasnt gotten me in trouble before.

I dont speak from a position of knowlege. Not sure ive had true comp style bbq. Ive had my own interpretations of it but who's to say its done well. I do my best to learn from each style; restaurant, competition and backyard.

I'll take what you say as having weight. I've read enough of this board to know your just a little bit respected by others here even if im ignorant to your exact resume.

BBQ competition is like a sport and for those who dont get it i think its a good analogy. The world champ in boxing isnt necessarily the best fighter in the world but lets see who steps into a ring with him. He knows the rules, strategy for scoring ect. Now that stuff doesnt matter in a street fight but fighting is still fighting.

Any competition is just that, if you choose to compete, you have to accept the outcome of those that are judging. Pretty simple, if you are not willing to accept the judges decision, just stay home and enjoy your own cook.

To the OP: try making a couple of racks of ribs “the way you like them” and a couple of racks with the Johnny Trigg foil mix, rubbed with Smoking Guns Hot and glazed with BHO and put those head to head in a blind taste test with 6-12 friends and family and have them score them on taste 1-9. Guess which style is gonna win going away?

Smoke Ninja: I just dabble in comps but a few years ago we did 6 contests and if you asked me in October that year if I liked bbq, I’d have grimaced at best. I just imagine how someone who cooks in dozens of comps year after year and I’m pretty sure I’d “hate barbecue” too if I did that because I’d be so dang sick of it. It could be anything that you cook and sample all the time with little variation... It’s not that it’s “not good”, you're just over it. That reminds me of a story I read in Wicked Good BBQ wherein they cooked so much brisket that the neighbor’s dog refused to eat it.... Ugh. And that’s one reason why I couldn’t handle cooking that many comps and practicing like crazy to get good because I don’t want to eat so much of it that I can’t stand it anymore.

The teams that have taken the time, effort and expense to master competition bbq have my utmost respect, like anyone who works hard to master their craft... plus they gotta have some iron stomachs!

Back