Help Smoked Balogna

SloppyQ

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I had a friend ask me to smoke a roll of balogna, has anyone ever done this I haven't. Help !!! Should I treat it like a fatty?

If you visit................thinkin here............go to Cookshack. Go to forums and go to the search mod...........I hope im correct here...........dammit..........Im pretty sure I saw the bolonaga thing their.
Memory failing me lately.........

Thanks Mike I found the link. Everything reads like I can't screw this up.

Sloppy, that why this forum exists. To help the brothers out when in need.
Thank god for Poohbah and the others who started this forum. Ive learned just a chitload of info here..........and I get to have some fun also.....
Hopefully you found enough info at Cookshack. I would also just for chits and giggles type in smoked bologna. Im sure you will find tons more info, maybe not.....Hell im a newbie here. Good luck and smoke on.

I used to have a link somewhere to a smoked bologna recipe that used a pipe to core out some holes in the bologna and fill it with bbq sauce, can't find it now. Dammed AAADD.

Anyone know the recipe I'm talking about, I thought it was in our recipes section but its not.

kcquer said:
I used to have a link somewhere to a smoked bologna recipe that used a pipe to core out some holes in the bologna and fill it with bbq sauce, can't find it now. Dammed AAADD.

Anyone know the recipe I'm talking about, I thought it was in our recipes section but its not.

I have tried the pipe method and it is a farking mess. Because of the wall thickness on the pipe, the plugs you get are too small for the hole. (Geez..I can just hear the wise cracks now) . Anyways, once the chub heats up, the sauce oozes out. (More wise cracks from the peanut gallery). So I used this thing from the kitchen drawer that I think is an apple core tool. A handle on one end and then a U shaped shaft with a 1" ring on the other end. The metal on the ring is really thin, so the plugs it takes out are a good fit.

You basically core the bologna in several places, fill the cavity with BBQ sauce, add the plugs and barbecue for a few hours. I used toothpicks to secure the plugs during the cook.

i used the pork loin coring tool to make one for my neighbor. i treated it more like a stuffed pork loin as far as prep. But i first cut out the top plug with a knife becase the coring tool would make the plug too loose.

I made a mixture of 2 jimmy dean fatties, shreaded jack/cheddar and diced jalepenos. (I partially cooked/sauted the jalepeno with a little sausage meat to release some flavor and heat and then mixed it with the bulk of the fatty). Used the plunger to insert the sausage into the chub and sealed it with the plug. Skewered thru the sides and thru the plug to hold it in place.

My neighbor loved it, and got a kick out of the presentation when you sliced it.. but to me.. it was bologna.. my kid absolutly loves smoked bologna, but aint no one gonna convince me that thing absorbs any smoke. Its hot bologna.. nothing more..

Post 15 in this thread shows the coring and stuffing tool i use for porkloins.

BBQchef33 said:
i used the pork loin coring tool to make one for my neighbor. i treated it more like a stuffed pork loin as far as prep. But i first cut out the top plug with a knife becase the coring tool would make the plug too loose...

I go for industrial coring when it comes to pork loin. Often I stuff them with two links of partially cooked sausage, but I bet if I rolled out a 1# fattie into a 2" diameter skinny and smoked it for two hours, it would stuff real easy.

6e2c19a4.jpg

I've smoked bologna before. Cross-cut scored the skin and threw 'er in for a couple of hours, then cut it real fine. It made a great sammich spread.

I believe if you run a search in the Q-Talk forum you'll find another discussion or two on the subject.

I thought you couldn't buy whole bologna anymore on 1/2 or is that what you are using?

I just ask the deli guy for a chunk about xxx inchs long, unsliced. They cut it off, weigh it and thats that.

The way I remember this being done was smoked whole in the "casing" unopened then sliced and grilled/griddled sometimes with sauce other times mayo on a roll/white bread

That reminds me.. When first trying the smoke bologna thing 2-3 years agao, i decided to use a potato p[eeler and cut the casing off to try to get some smoke penetration.

Was like trying to get a smoke ring on a cinder block.

nope.. but my sone likes it cubed with bbq sauce for dippin.

I smoked 3, 2# bolgna chubs about a year ago.

I use to eat a ton of fried bolgna as a kid,

But I looked at this, like phil said, a cinder block with brown chit on it.

I got about 10 happy raccoons and possums out behind the house that night

Back