Building that Rig...

H'Islander

Found some matches.
Reaction score
at near-to 60, I'm not terribly tech savvy. I poked around for a while but came up wanting. Are there threads/forums here on fabrication of our own BBQ Rigs? Being a fair hand at striking an arc I'm wanting to make my own rig for this winter's project, but I'd truly appreciate reading up on other's successes and their thoughts on points/construction to avoid. Things like materials. Can a used propane cylinder be used? Or does that rotten egg smell they put in the gas permeate the steel too deeply and never subside? Are there other repurposed "bodies" to consider that might be better than, say, a '50 propane tank (50 gal)? Or is it best just to contract out to get a steel skin rolled and have the ends plasma cut for the sides?

Thanks in advance, even if it's a redirect to another forum here on the site!

There are plenty of build threads on here. I recommend you give some thought to what kind of cooker you are wanting (i.e., insulated vertical cabinet, offset, reverse flow offset) then use the search tool, for example "reverse flow offset build" and look at the results.

We have a similar start, at 60 last year I decided i was going to learn to weld, and fab a bit. I've now built three smokers, and purchased one from Lone Star Grillz. All of them I built are stick burner offsets, and reverse flow.
The first two were propane tanks, about 180 and 200 gals each. They turned out fine...a bit rough, but fine. They work well, that's the goal.
The last one I just finished I used a 30" steel pipe and made it 5' in length. I built a trailer underneath it with other stuff so I can cook whatever for a crowd. I'll attach a pic or two if I can.
I would search the internet, google something like "propane smoker build" and search for images. When you find one that looks like what you want, go to that page. Lot's of info. Go to you tube and look for propane smoker build and there's some good info on how to clean it out before you cut it.
As far as plans, go here: http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

smokerbuilder.com is also a good site.

Last one i just finished:
IMG_0474-XL.jpg

first one I built. Called Frank...for Frankenstein. Not pretty, but does a job:
IMG_0013-XL.jpg

A shot of Frank in progress next to the Lone Star insulated just after delivery:
lonestar-L.jpg

Good luck, have fun!

Thanks for the leads folks. Very much appreciated! Wouldn't ya know it, it's been a extremely warm winter in New England - as soon as I start thinking about shifting to spring projects the northeast is unleashing it's vengeance - 18" of snow Thursday, 4 more last night, another nor'easter for Sunday and Monday. And now my backhoe is gettin' cranky on me. Thanks TuscaloosaQ - I may well be picking your brain. I have a lot of research to do yet but I really appreciate the support!

I made my own 120 gal propane build. The tanks work great, and that smell goes away. Just take your time. I stalked youtube and picked guys brains on here. Wealth of knowledge.

All y'all first time fabricators doing your own builds makes me wanna try my hand at it. Give me some wood, saws, hammer n nails and I can build you whatever...But when it comes to welding, steel working etcetera, I am as clueless as it gets. Some day maybe...Someday...

I second that fact that it can be as much fun as cooking on them! Good luck with it. Post any questions and I'm sure someone will offer some good advice.
Pete

I think I've got it narrowed down now....I want it all~! But I think it's fair to say I want to build two. First, a small rig for the deck for when it's just me and Connie, or maybe add 2-3 friends, until I get a really good bead on cooking times/temps with such a rig. And, later on, one on a trailer to pull out for party gigs. Any insight to the weight of a 120 gal tank-sized offset firebox rig without the frills? (eg storage drawers, work tables, etc.?) Not going into competition, at least not until my retirement days maybe. I see most are on dual axle trailers, so that's a good hint to start with I suppose.

There are tons of build threads on here ..... before me and Tyler started our business we posted a lot of build threads on this forum..... feel free to pm me ... I'll help anyway I can.

Wow T-Q, you're doing some amazing work! NICE~!

Back