• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ribs Unwrapped

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I figured since Kroger had a sale on spare ribs (a rack for $10-12 - I grabbed 6 racks) that I would finally do a little experimenting. I normally wrap my ribs after a few failed attempts early on in my BBQ newbie days. Now armed with a little more experience, better temp control, and an understanding of technique I decided to give ribs unwrapped another try.

Brought the pit up to 225-235 (this is what I've started doing all my low and slow at, have doing everything at 275 down but found that at 275 I need to wrap, 225-235 not so much).

Put a large water pan on in the back and then loaded one single rack of ribs meat side down for the first 90 minutes. I initially spritzed the back with Honey Crisp Apple Juice (juiced in my own juicer) and then again every 30 minutes. At 90 minutes I flipped the ribs meat side up and started spritzing roughly every 20 to 30 minutes.

At 3 1/2 hours in I added some butter and then continued spritzing roughly every 20 to 30 minutes (I was inside making home made chili and helping my wife can it).

At around 5+ hours I pulled the ribs to rest ... they past the bend test nicely. No Sauce, No Glaze, just goodness :)

Have to say I was very very happy with the results, as were my wife and my brother.

2014-06-25%2019.52.57_zpsf41viusg.jpg

2014-06-25%2020.12.43_zpsr39dtsxw.jpg

2014-06-28%2010.42.10_zps7gjdoqos.jpg

2014-06-25%2021.14.46_zpshp1kqnae.jpg

Took them out of the cryo ... rinsed them with cool water, and then rubbed them with my home made rub.

Those look spectacular, thanks for sharing the method!

You didn't say...........Did you start with any rub or seasoning?

KC

That is the butter I used. I keep several on hand. If I am getting all into the BBQ zone I will make clarified butter and use that but on this occassion, it was the GOTO Parkay Squeeze.

Ribs look good.
When you say you added butter, do you mean Squeeze Parkay like they use on TV?

Damn nice looking ribs.

P.S. Kroger has $1.99 brisket this week (2 max with a $20 purchase I think). They are select, but I picked a nice one up at the location up the street from you (544) this morning.

Thanks for the tip ... I picked up 2 really nice briskets from that Kroger 2 days ago and $1.99 (made friends with one of the butchers there and he called me so I got first choice. I picked up 2 more today. They have several decent briskets left. All 4 had super meaty toes with great marbling. So inventory in my chest freezer is:

5 Select Briskets
3 Angus Briskets
6 Pork Shoulders (bone in)
7 Pork Spare rib racks
2 Chuck Roasts
6 2" prime ribs
8 lbs of home ground sausage
2 Venison Roasts

Now I'm hunting for super thick beef ribs ... not the skinny, crappy things at Kroger, Walmart, etc ... looks like a trip to the butcher.

Damn nice looking ribs.

P.S. Kroger has $1.99 brisket this week (2 max with a $20 purchase I think). They are select, but I picked a nice one up at the location up the street from you (544) this morning.

Now I'm hunting for super thick beef ribs ... not the skinny, crappy things at Kroger, Walmart, etc ... looks like a trip to the butcher.

Im pretty close to you guys - over in Sachse. I too picked up a couple briskets at Kroger this week. Where are you looking to pick up those beef ribs? A place like Herschs over in Plano?

Most likely Hirsch's... or maybe Dave's ... I'm just waiting on sales or a decent price.

I also just started a organic co-op group ... will be sending out a list to those in my area that were interested ... the larger the order the better the pricing. There are around 20+ families. .. most don't do BBQ, but thr meat order covers everything.

Im pretty close to you guys - over in Sachse. I too picked up a couple briskets at Kroger this week. Where are you looking to pick up those beef ribs? A place like Herschs over in Plano?

Back