Peach wood around chicago

Crooks

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Any idea where I wood find peach wood around the chicago are? I want to try some out and would prefer to buy local

are you looking for chips, chunks or logs?
bass pro and cabellas or ace hardware for chunks.
do peaches grow that far north?
jon

They grow them in Michigan, but you don't see them around the Chicago area.

I've never seen peach chunks at our Ace or Menard's. I have seen chips, but not consistently. You can order from Fruita Wood Chunks. Good quality and free shipping.

do peaches grow that far north?
jon
We're right on the edge. Across the lake in MI where the temperature extremes tend to be moderated by Lake Michigan there are a lot of peach orchards. Apples are more common on this side of the lake.

Any idea where I wood find peach wood around the chicago are? I want to try some out and would prefer to buy local

Not sure how soon you need it, but you could try talking to someone selling peaches at a local farmer's market when (if?) the weather warms up a bit. They may be willing to sell you some wood from their orchards...

Take a drive over to Berrien Couty in Michigan, only 90 miles from the center of the Loop via I-94. The orchard farmers will be pruning their trees soon before the temps rise into the 30*F range. Stop ask if you can have some of their trimmings or cut up any trees they might be taking out. Orchard farmers replace the trees every 3-5 years depending on the variety.

You can order these into your store, free shipping,
Western Peach BBQ Smoking Chips (28070) at ACE Hardware
Several flavors available in chips or chunks.
jon

Fruita if you have trouble finding them in your area or eastcoastsmokingwood. Chad at eastcoastsmokingwood has a ton or others woods as well.

I am looking for chunks. I just have a couple of WSMs.
I guess I will order from Fruita. I have been using cherry and apple for white meats. Hickory for beef. I want to try some other wood.
I see the bourbon barrel wood is that a gimmick or worth trying?

Last edited:
I see the bourbon barrel wood is that a gimmick or worth trying?
I would try some oak and see how you like that. You should be able to find that locally easily enough. Barrels are made of oak. I have no idea how much extra flavor the bourbon adds.

Back