• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Which Rub to use on Pork Butt

okiej

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have some Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple and some Simply Marvelous Cherry. I have never used either on a pork butt before. I have both compliments of a fellow brethren. Thank You. I did some spare ribs last weekend with each and honestly couldn't decide which was best. Both are very good. But which would be best on a Butt??? And should I rub and wrap it tonight or just rub it while the pit is warming up tomorrow. I usually inject and rub the night before.

Make your own rub and rub it down tonight. Then hit one more time with rub before you put it on the smoker.

You really can't go wrong with either. It's just a preference thing.

I like to rub and inject the night before. As far as the rub you cant go wrong with either. Heck, mix them if you want.

I want to try the rub to see how I like it. I just didn't know if there was a clear choice for pork butt. I have cooked many butts and have a standard rub and injection I use. I just want to explore a little. I don't want to mix them before I am familiar with them individually. I do not plan to inject this time. The butt is 4% enhanced. I probably will rub it tonight so it saves time in the morning. I am leaning towards the spicy apple.

Nobody knows what you like best; better than you.
I'd say, cook the Pork Butt unseasoned, then pull/shred it and do a
"taste test" for yourself. Portion out about 6 1oz. portions. Then
sprinkle a "little" of each rub on two of the portions, then sprinkle
a "medium" amount of each rub on two of the portions, lastly sprinkle
a "heavy" amount of each of the rubs on the last two portions.

Taste them one at a time and drink a small amount of water inbetween
each "Tasting" to cleanse your taste buds as much as possible. Keep track
of what you think of each one, then you will know how to season
Pork from then on.

I have some Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple and some Simply Marvelous Cherry. I have never used either on a pork butt before. I have both compliments of a fellow brethren. Thank You. I did some spare ribs last weekend with each and honestly couldn't decide which was best. Both are very good. But which would be best on a Butt??? And should I rub and wrap it tonight or just rub it while the pit is warming up tomorrow. I usually inject and rub the night before.

Given the choices, I would use the Spicy Apple and save the Cherry for ribs..
:wink:

I agree with IamMadMan.
Also I really like to grind up the Spicy Apple and use it as a finishing dust on the pulled pork. Brother I'm tellin ya you'll love it.
Steph posted that a while back and I've done it a few times since. Everyone loved the flavor.

I put equal amounts of salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika on my pork butts and they turn out well.

Back